Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Having an outdoor dinner, soirée, fete, summer evening chat-a-thon? Add lights - Story and Art by Sandra Russell

Outdoor Dinner - Art by Sandra Russell


“Romance is more than lovers,

it's a way of living a richer life.”

Having an outdoor dinner, soirée, fete, summer evening chat-a-thon? Add lights

Story and Art by Sandra Russell

Maybe you have a cousin visiting, an old school friend wants to stop by and catch up? Will this be an evening visit? Consider a late supper, or maybe just after dinner deserts and coffee, or something a bit stronger before watching a movie or a play? Maybe an after-dinner, after the movie/play. Nightcap and critique of what you just shared?

Anyhow, I'm thinking about after dark, outdoors in the summer eve, assuming it's not raining, buzzing with bugs and stifling hot by then...picture that it is balmy, an evening breeze and some fireflies...that's the evening we want. Now, if a bit chilly might we have a firepit? Everyone loves to open up and muse around a fire. The primitive draw of the circle round a controlled flame is just the thing for digesting the food and events of the day, and evoking sentiments. The lighting isn't bad either. Everyone looks lovely, handsome, interesting, in candle light. Which brings me to the topic of lighting for such events.

I have in a box for a couple of years now, a string of outdoor party lights…I swear I will get them up soon...but where? On the porch in a rectangle along the garage? Maybe I will make an evening fantasy chandelier and hang from one of the trees? Fairy lights on the bushes? Don't have a row of saplings to wrap in white Xmas lights, so no pathway for my backyard, but maybe for yours?

For me, I am thinking of a trick I learned while making props for theater. I used thin 1/2" PVC pipe from the hardware store; it's cheap. I bent it into ovals, and sometimes circles, like extra-large hula hoops(I joined the ends with wine corks and dowels) and then hung those from the ceiling with various ornaments dripping down. I was thinking that doing the same with a series of circles held with ribbons to drop small, medium and large from a tree, these could be painted to match the color of the light wire, white not painted, but use white tape to hold in place? black for black wire so that only the lights would stand out in circular patterns?

Of course other designs could be made...changing a strand of tiny lights into medium sized lights, into large lights can also look really cool twining over fences...if you haven't any trees or fences...an effect can still be accomplished by running clothesline across the yard in rows with lights looping over those. Think about spotlighting certain flowers or statuary...candle paths or a reflecting pool with floating candles can be made from simple bowls of water placed strategically along points of interest or gathering spots.

Have a good time. Bring a little romance to your backyard, even if it's just the kids and family...romance is more than lovers, it's a way of living a richer life.



No comments:

National Poetry Month: "Floorboards" A Poem by Mark M. Dean

Floorboards 4/14/2024 by © Mark M. Dean I’ve always prided myself on my exit plan My daily routine Sliding out of bed with the utmos...