Monday, March 8, 2021

Milliron Monday: A Letter from Susie 3 8 21

 


Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.
June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010

Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Pete Smith, D.V.M., and  Milliron: Abbott “Pete” Smith, D.V.M. The Biography
 (Monday Creek Publishing 2017). A graduate of Colorado State University and a well-known veterinarian in southeast Ohio, Dr. Smith continues to motivate and inspire. 

March greetings. This month I am sharing letters from Dr. Smith's siblings, written for his memorial service. 

Susie's letter...

My big brother – that’s what Pete was to me, the third sibling among us five. He was always bigger than life, whether to his little two-year-old sister or to me now. And the adventures in his life were always just as big. He’d survived so many near-mythic accidents, I didn’t take this last one as seriously as everyone near him knew it to be. I missed him – and I miss him.

Pete and Jody called me up last Fall to thank me for some Maine newspaper horse stores I’d sent them. We talked for almost an hour, really rare, and in retrospect so special. That time, I found out he’d totaled his truck just months before and was pretty badly hurt himself – a first, he assured me. But he was fine, back to work, no problems.

That call was especially nice because getting his attention as a child or adult sibling always seemed hard for me. The only time I really impressed him, I thought, was when I showed up driving my ¾-ton Dodge diesel truck. The 1910 Stanley Steamer in the trailer didn’t impress him, just the truck pulling it. Or so I thought!

Living with Pete was always exciting. When I was about two, I was saving a base for him at a baseball game in our yard at 48 West Elm in Yarmouth. He came racing in, landed on my outstretched leg – and broke it! He was great at knife throwing and he demonstrated it once by making me stand next to a beam on the second floor of the barn while he threw his knife into the beam from the ground floor. I got to pull it out of the beam and drop it down to him, I guess – that part I don’t remember.

In fact, it had to be at 48 West Elm that Pete decided to be a veterinarian. We had cows, chickens, pigs, and at least seven horses. Dad, a gentlemen farmer as they used to call them, commuted 10 miles into Portland to work, so Pete probably helped Mom out with a lot of farm chores. By the time we moved to our Little River Farm on Casco Bay in Freeport, there were four of us, so Mom needed a lot of help.

At Little River, Pete was probably just a typical big brother. I remember very clearly his making me put his fishing worms in my pocket. One time he chased me up an apple tree in the front yard. In the excitement, I jumped from one limb to another and missed. That time, I had a broken arm. Our first year in Denver, 1952, all by myself I broke my wrist. With three broken bones before I was ten, I figured out I’d better be more careful, so I stopped breaking bones.

Once we moved to Denver, Pete was gone to me. He was so much older; we were never in school together. I remember proudly how he got a summer job at a ranch in the mythical Laramie, Wyoming – those were the days of great TV and movie “Westerns.” Visiting and riding around that huge ranch was always exciting. Then we came back East, and he went to vet school, rode broncs for sport, met and married the other passion of his life, Jody, had kids, and the rest is the history we celebrate today. 




Sending love and blessings to Susie today.
Have a great week ahead.




Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian.



No comments:

Milliron Monday

  Taking a break this week. Enjoy previous Milliron Monday's Here . Visit the Milliron Facebook Gallery Here. Visit my website @ www.gmc...