Monday, October 19, 2020

Milliron Monday: Nostalgia 10 19 2020



Abbott "Pete" Smith, D.V.M. 

June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010

Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Pete Smith, D.V.M., and  Milliron: Abbott “Pete” Smith, D.V.M. The Biography (Monday Creek Publishing 2017). A graduate of Colorado State University and a well-known veterinarian in southeast Ohio, Dr. Smith continues to motivate and inspire. 

Several years ago, Jody, Dr. Smith's widow, gave me horse leg wraps (see above). The soft interior padding worn smooth, they are weary-worn with lots of miles. P. Smith and the Milliron brand identify the wraps that belonged to Dr. Smith. Knowing the wraps are sentimental to Jody, I store them in a safe place at my barn. 

Last week, I was cleaning and saw the wraps. I decided to see if I could bring them back to life from their battered state. I took the wraps to my house and gently hand-washed each one. Needless to say, they fell apart - things do, I suppose, as they grow old.  But the essence and spirit of the green pads, as inanimate as they are, made me think of Dr. Smith and the many (many) times he used them.

There are things in our lives that we cherish - our tried and true familiar things that give us a sense of who we are. "Oh, I've had these wraps since I had that one horse..." I suppose it's a kind of nostalgia, bringing a brief sadness to people, things, or events that happened in the past. 

What do I do with four wraps that once served a purpose, but have fallen apart and are of no use? The best I can do is take a photo and write about them. 

Have a great week ahead.


Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian.

No comments:

Milliron Monday

  Taking a break this week. Enjoy previous Milliron Monday's Here . Visit the Milliron Facebook Gallery Here. Visit my website @ www.gmc...