Sunday, April 7, 2013

Clare Hudson, Equestrian





Clare Hudson is a polo player residing in the United Kingdom. Raised in Malaysia and Abu Dhabi, she is founder of the elite polo attire and equipment company Kit4Kings. Her favorite breed of horse is the British Thoroughbred…


Welcome Clare!

When was your first encounter with a horse?

I was aged 4, and that Christmas my father had given my sister and I riding lessons at Kuala Lumpur's Polo Club. 

When did you begin playing polo? 

Despite learning to ride at a polo club and having weekly lessons for 8 years, I only started playing polo once I got to University, aged 19. I had actually learnt to play PoloCrosse out in Costa Rica during my gap year and was hooked and wanted to continue but there was only a polo club at the university so I joined that and haven’t looked back.

Tell me about your polo team... 

Surprisingly it is called Kit4Kings! There isn’t a set team, in terms of the players so I really work that out depending on the tournament level and horse power required to win. I have been fortunate to play with a great number of players, some who shout a lot and others that don’t, but all in all it is the most brilliant and fun sport.

Do you ride/practice daily?

I pretty much ride daily in the summer, be it exercising the ponies or stick and balling. I never feel like it is a chore but actually a lovely respite from work and the stresses of the day.

What was your motivation to begin Kit4Kings?

To be able to work for yourself and make a success completely off your own back. I studied law at University and during many placements in different firms, from the magic circle companies to provincial family dispute firms, I realized that it was a very negative environment what put me off joining it. Running your own business has its ups and downs but at the end of the day if it works out it is down to you and you are always forging positive paths to make it more and more successful. In law you were always looking out to prevent the negative from occurring and if it did to ensure you were covered against it. I also wanted to be able to climb up the 'career ladder' based on my own results and not predescribed number of years working in an industry before you are considered eligible for an elevation in your position. I am a firm believer that results should speak louder than age.

What has been the biggest challenge you've faced in your career? 

People not taking you seriously due to being quite young and a female.

What does horsemanship mean to you?

The complete understanding of your horse at that moment you are competing on it. You have to know when it is tired, due to being cold, over exercised, over fed, under fed, has sore teeth or a sore back. There are many people who can ride and say they are horse people but there are very few who are true champions of it. It takes patience, time and fundamentally some people are born with it and others not. You can only learn so much, the rest is either a part of you or not.

Any advice for beginning riders/polo players? 

Have a go. If you don’t try you won’t know what you are missing out on. Horses are an amazing animal and can bring a great deal to your life.



Follow Clare…

No comments:

National Poetry Month: "Floorboards" A Poem by Mark M. Dean

Floorboards 4/14/2024 by © Mark M. Dean I’ve always prided myself on my exit plan My daily routine Sliding out of bed with the utmos...