Tuesday, October 22, 2024

An Interview With Award-Winning Ohio Author, Leslie McDonald

 



An Interview With Award-Winning Ohio author, Leslie McDonald

 

With great enthusiasm, welcome esteemed author and equestrian, Leslie McDonald. Over the years, I have come to appreciate that Leslie transcends the mere titles of author and horsewoman. She is a multifaceted individual, consistently imparting innovative concepts, inspiring others to pursue their optimal existence, and urging them to advance with courage. Her extensive equestrian experience significantly enhances her creative pursuits. As a writer, she has garnered prestigious accolades for her enthralling narratives and compelling scenarios.

 

Welcome, Leslie!


GM: Congratulations on your new book! What is the premise for your new book?

LM:  Behind the Gate is a captivating collection of color photography framed by traditional haiku blended to define the seasons “behind the gate” of a secluded country haven. The book will touch the heart and imagination of anyone who loves the resplendency of gardens, the beauty of horses and the serenity of nature.

 

GM: What was your inspiration for writing haikus?

LM: When I was in college I focused on writing poetry. In fact, I had two chapbooks published: one by DePauw University and the other by University of Wisconsin/Whitewater. As time progressed, poetry took a backseat to writing fiction. However, as my work training horses and teaching lessons is all consuming, it became difficult to find quality time for long format writing. To satisfy my creative urges, I began to write haiku, inspired by photos I took around my farm. The short format has been the perfect solution to satisfy my desire to write.

 

GM: How have your horses inspired your writing?

LM: All seven of my published books have been inspired by the life I have been blessed to lead with horses. My farm and the people who frequent it are a constant source of inspiration for characters and stories.

 

GM: Describe a day in your life as a writer and horsewoman...

LM: My days are extremely full managing a stable. From the care and training of the horses to a full schedule of lessons that often last into the evening, there is very little free time. But, whenever time allows, I always have a legal pad at the ready to jot down story ideas. I’m definitely a person who writes in long hand rather than on the computer.

 

GM: Do you need a quiet place to write, or do you prefer the sounds of the day to propel your creativity? 

LM: I have two favorite places to write. One is a cushy old wicker sofa on the front porch that overlooks my front pastures. I’m rarely disturbed there as I can’t be seen from the barn! The other perfect writing spot is a chair beside the pool where I can sit in the garden and listen to the relaxing waterfall that blocks out all the noise except my thoughts.

 

GM: What would you like readers to take away from your new book?

LM: A tranquil escape from life’s crazy pace. Behind the Gate invites the reader to enjoy the purity and peace of nature.

 

GM: Can you share an excerpt?

LM: Yes...

 

Woven morning web

captures summer images

between silken strands


(c) Leslie McDonald, Behind The Gate

 

GM: What other books have you written?

LM: I’ve written six other books: Horse on the Loose, Down the Aisle, Musings of a Horse Farm Corgi, Journeys with Horses and Making Magic.

 

GM: Where can readers find your new book?

LM: All my books are available on Amazon.

 

GM: What's for lunch?

LM: Lunch in the traditional sense doesn’t exist in my lifestyle. Midday I might snack on one of the horses’ apples or stick a pack of Belvita cookies in my pocket. Throughout the day, I always have a cup of white tea at hand.

 

Connect with Leslie…

www.fcfarm.com 

Amazon Author Page





No comments:

An Interview With Award-Winning Ohio Author, Leslie McDonald

  An Interview With Award-Winning Ohio author, Leslie McDonald   With great enthusiasm, welcome esteemed author and equestrian, Leslie M...