Sunday, September 1, 2024

A Commitment to Horses: An Interview with Barb DiPalma

Barb DiPalma, Equestrian

A Commitment to Horses: An Interview with Barb DiPalma
By Gina McKnight
No Duplication without Permission. 
Archived from the August 2024 Issue of Florida Equine Athlete. www.floridaequineathlete.com
 
Originally from New England, now residing in South Carolina, Barb DiPalma is an expert equestrian. A horse owner for over 35 years, Barb has “has been involved in the equine industry as an ARIA Certified Level 2 Dressage and Hunt Seat Instructor since 2004. Since 2012, she holds an Open Horse Show Association Judge’s Card LEVEL 3. Barb has been a Massachusetts Licensed Riding Instructor, Stable Manager, Trainer, Coach, and is an experienced scribe to Grand Prix. Barb currently works full-time for GGT-Footing ™ and specializes in ideal Arena Construction and Maintenance, the Biomechanics of the gaits, and the hoof, tendon, and ligament interaction with footing surfaces.”
 
Welcome, Barb!
 
GM: Your presentations are fabulous and I learn so much from you. In the Ohio Equine Affaire program, it states you are "bringing up a half-Arabian sport horse gelding as an endurance, dressage, and low-level event prospect." Tell us about this up-and-coming horse and his progress thus far...
BD: Time goes by so fast! I raised Hot Shot from birth, I had his mom, a Paint/TB cross and she was bred to Lu-Nor HotNBlack of Mosher Meadow Horse Farm, Rothbury, Michigan. Hot Shot just turned nine! He has been successful at 25 mile endurance rides and has two top-ten finishes at Biltmore AERC sanctioned rides. He loves to Hunter Pace, and jump, and we are focusing more these days on Dressage. We are just having fun on our journey of learning together. He has a unique and funny personality and would be most likely voted class clown. He is curious and brave and I have been successful at the beginning steps of training him to paint.  
 
GM: When did you meet your first horse?  
BD: My grandparents, on one of our camping adventures, took my brother and I to Six-Gun City in Jefferson, NH, when we were very small and put me in a pony ride and I didn’t want to get off! I think I was about five years old! From then on, all I talked about was horses! On another adventure, when I was about seven, we visited my second cousin Susan and she let me ride her horse in an open pasture adjacent to the barn. With zero experience or instruction, I ended up getting run away with and Grandpa grabbed me off the horse before he ran back into the barn! I think that instilled in me a great respect for horses and also spurred on my lifelong desire to challenge fears and to be a better rider.
 
GM: Throughout the years, we usually encounter one horse that helps us to grow and learn. Have you had a special horse in your life?
BD: Yes! I was blessed to have my beloved Mystery To Me aka MAC. I purchased him as a just castrated coming three year old from a local sales barn after following from an auction where I had seen him purchased. He was a thoroughbred with no tattoo and thus I named him after my favorite album. He was my first real training project and he was a wonderful trail horse, who even did beach rides and parades and was ridden in a friend’s wedding. When he was nine years old, it was discovered at a potential buyer’s pre-purchase that he was a mild wobbler. Undetected by my own vets for all the time I had him! I ended up retiring him soon after that discovery and I had him till he was 17. He was a graceful and generous soul who was a wonderful mentor companion to a lot of my project horses. He was very special and taught me that not every horse HAS to be ridden to be loved and to be useful.
 
GM: Your equestrian resume is long and impressive! Of all the disciplines, which is your favorite competition? Which is your favorite to teach?
BD: I have taught English and Western lessons for a variety of facilities, all catering to multi-discipline, and from beginner to advanced riders. It’s hard to pick a favorite genre because the general foundations of learning how to ride effectively and with feel and with empathy for the horse is the same across disciplines. I do enjoy teaching private, dressage and jumping lessons the most. I have developed a systematic style for explaining the directives of lower levels of Dressage and enjoy facilitating gymnastic exercises that improve horse and rider understanding.  In the past I would say Eventing was my favorite competition but today I am exploring other modalities of enjoying horses and have interest in Equine Assisted Learning. I think it is important for good horsemanship, to always expand your possibilities.  
 
GM: As proprietor of Frog Field Farm Equine Clinic, what programs do you offer? What is the best way to apply for a clinic or consultation?
BD: From1995-2015 respectively I contracted as Frog Field Farm Equine Clinician and Consultant. I have basically retired that name, currently work for GGT-Footing ™ as the USA Retail Sales Manager, and at this time I am only judging Open Horse Show Association affiliated Horse Shows. I also just adopted an eight year old Arabian Mare named Ava from Grune Heidi Farm Rescue in Lakeland, FL. I literally just got her within the last month and am getting to know her, furthering her training, and getting her conditioned for Endurance Rides. We just sent her hair in for DNA testing and hoping to find her true identity soon. I have interest in pursuing a not-for-profit rescue endeavor of my own, with a mission of rehabilitation, retraining, and re-homing unwanted Arabian Horses at risk of slaughter. BARB’S: Barbara’s Arabian Rescue Barn & Sanctuary. To be honest, I am still working on getting past The Vision Board stage and networking with potential investors and board members.  
 
GM: Do you have an outstanding equine adventure/anecdote that might inspire others to keep going even though they may get discouraged with their horse and/or riding ability?
BD: Don’t ride your friend’s horse named Bucky or Rocket for the Key-Hole race at Tuesday night Gymkhana. No really, don’t.
 
GM: How do you handle stubborn, uncooperative horses? 
BD: I am not above asking for help. I am very particular who I ask to help me but when you reach a plateau you have to get down to get to the next mesa.
 
GM: What is your best advice for those looking to purchase their first horse?
BD: Aside from the obvious things like good confirmation, soundness, and suitability, I would say surround yourself with positive people that can help you learn in such a way that is not condensing but is challenging enough to measure accomplishment.
 
GM: Traveling to share your knowledge, where in the world has been your favorite place to visit/ride/teach?
BD: To be honest, I haven’t travelled that much, and most of my teaching experience is in Connecticut and Massachusetts and I am grateful for it, the people I have met, and the kids I have taught and watched grow up, and I wouldn’t trade my experiences for anywhere else, or for any other students. My favorite thing though, was judging for TROT (Therapeutic Riding Of Tryon) year-end Horse Show a couple times since living down south now.
 
GM: The equine industry has changed a bit since the pandemic, or at least it has here in Ohio. What are your thoughts about the current equine industry, the kill pens, the BLM and the horse scene in general?
BD: That is a can of worms I devote a lot of thought to, actually. It is no coincidence to me that supposedly the Social License to Operate concept was introduced into equestrianism in 2017, except I cannot find it referenced to animals until 2018 vaguely, and the Horse Welfare board was established in 2019. 2020 saw the SLO being discussed at the FEI Forum, and in 2021 the Ethical Framework for the use of Horses in Competitive sport was published. Within the construct of the COVID “crisis” this, to me, seems like shareholder speak. Seems like we didn’t hear about SLO until after 2020, for most of us anyway*. Just like “Social Distancing”, the origins of these phrases have their origins in sociological processes and agendas that should be considered as technology, social media, AI, and things like BIOSECURITY protocols and mandatory RFID microchips all merge. There are a lot of new terms now, like ONEHEALTH, Bio-Digital Convergence, and The Internet of Bodies most horse people aren’t aware of yet.  The frenzy over kill pens and the BLM should be directed at higher governances in my opinion.
 
GM: What does horsemanship mean to you?
BD: The commitment to putting the horse first, above ego and personal desires. The seeking of knowledge and the continuation of learning what benefits the horse.
 
GM: Will you be presenting at the 2025 Ohio Equine Affaire?
BD: Most likely yes! My presentations at The Equine Affaire have all been regarding Equestrian Arena Building, Footing Installation & Maintenance, and the Biomechanical Benefits of Fiber and Geotextile Arena Amendments for Equestrian Surfaces.

  1. * Gehman, J.; Lefsrud, L.M.; Fast, S. Social license to operate: Legitimacy by another name? Cdn. Public Adm. J. 2017, 60, 293–317.
  2. Hampton, J.O.; Jones, B.; McGreevy, P.D. Social License and Animal Welfare: Developments from the Past Decade in Australia. Animals 2020, 10, 2237.
  3. Campbell, M.L.H. Animals, Ethics and Us; 5m Publishing: Sheffield, UK, 2019; pp. 69–97.
  4. Duncan, E.; Graham, R.; McManus, P. ‘No one has even seen… smelt… or sensed a social licence’: Animal geographies and social licence to operate. Geoforum 2018, 96, 318–327.
  5. Heleski, C.; Stowe, J.; Fiedler, J.; Peterson, M.L.; Brady, C.; Wickens, C.; MacLeod, J.N. Thoroughbred Racehorse Welfare through the Lens of ‘Social License to Operate with an Emphasis on a U.S. Perspective. Sustainability 2020, 12, 1706.
  6. Jones, E. Major Change Needed to Prevent Future Pentathlon Issues. Horse & Hound. 2021. Available online: https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/major-change-needed-to-prevent-future-pentathlon-issues-758542?fbclid=IwAR3Zm7ubGEL1iWwetmy-6R7mCXW265v-GX1CjXm3m6QiASaGRFBbn0cdvoU (accessed on 8 February 2022).
  7. Fiedler, J.; Thomas, M.; Ames, K. Informing a social license to operate communication framework: Attitudes to sport horse welfare. In Proceedings of the 15th International Society of Equitation Science Conference, Guelph, ON, Canada, 19–21 August 2019; p. 52.
  8. Prno, J.; Slocombe, D.S. Exploring the origins of ‘social license to operate’ in the mining sector: Perspectives from governance and sustainability theories. Resour Policy 2012, 37, 346–357.
  9. Arnot, C. Lost in Translation: Learning to Speak “Consumer” in a Way That Builds Trust. 2011. Available online: https://vimeo.com/32552398 (accessed on 9 March 2022).
  10. Raufflet, E.; Baba, S.; Perras, C.; Delannon, N. Encyclopedia of Corporate Social Responsibility; Springer: Berlin, Germany, 2013; p. 82.

Connect with Barb…
www.ggt-footing.com





 

No comments:

The Kentucky Mountain Horse, Breeze is Turning 2 Years Old!

  NC Matheny is thrilled to announce the launch of his brand-new TikTok channel, featuring none other than his cherished stallion, Breeze!  ...