Monday, July 26, 2021

Milliron Monday: Remembering Gussie Anderson

 

Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.
June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010
Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Pete Smith, D.V.M., and  Milliron: Abbott “Pete” Smith, D.V.M. The Biography (Monday Creek Publishing 2017), including his wife Jody (1938-2021). Pete, a well-known veterinarian in southeast Ohio, and Jody lived life to the fullest. They continue to motivate and inspire.

In the back of my bookcase is a large brown wooden box with a fancy latch. The box has ornamental scrolls and carved flowers. It's my treasure box. Inside are the recordings of interviews with Dr. Smith's clients. One of my favorite recordings is of Gussie Anderson.

Jody and I met Gussie for lunch, along with Sylvia and other Milliron friends. It was the first of many encounters I had with Gussie. We met at the Millstone BBQ in Logan. Gussie pulled up the heavy wooden restaurant chair, looked me right in the eye, and asked, "Do you own a horse? What breed? How long have you had horses?" Through the kitchen come-on of BBQ seasoning, I nodded my head, "Yes." Before I could get the rest of my answers out, she relaxed, leaned back in her chair, and started to tell me about Dr. Smith. She had a long history on horseback with Dr. Smith and Jody. Not only a friend, but she was a client of Dr. Smith's as well. She told me about the time she had a not-so-friendly encounter in the Milliron Clinic parking lot with Dr. Smith's dog, Tess. But, she mostly talked about horses and how Dr. Smith and Jody liked to ride on the trails near her home in the heart of the Hocking Hills State Forest. 

Gussie passed away July 20. She was 91 years old. The Hocking County chapter of the Ohio Horse Council announced it. My first thought was, "I have to let Jody know." Of course, I can't tell Jody. So, I am telling you. A good horsewoman left this earth. She had great stories, was a good friend to many, and loved horses. I wanted to tell Gussie how much I enjoyed her company, but she wasn't into pride or being top drawer. She wanted to tell me about her horses, not about how cool she was.

One day I am going to get out my fancy brown box and listen to all the interviews again. It will take me a month or more. First, I will listen to Gussie and Jody laugh and talk about horses. Wish you could listen, too.

Ride with the wind, Gussie.


Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian.

No comments:

This Week @ Monday Creek: History and Cosmos

  The Ides of March came and went without much ado. Falling on the 15 th of March, it was a significant date in ancient Rome. It gained not...