Friday, July 10, 2020

Horse Crazy: An Interview with FEA Founder, Melissa Greer, MBA, Ph.D. by Gina McKnight

Melissa with Sonny 

Horse Crazy: An Interview with FEA Founder, Melissa Greer, MBA, Ph.D.
From the June 2020 Issue of Florida Equine Athlete
No duplication without permission.
by Gina McKnight

This month Florida Equine Athlete is celebrating! Founder Melissa Greer, MBA, Ph.D., is excited to announce the 165th issue of her magazine. As avid readers, we all enjoy reading about horses, keeping up with the event schedule, and more! Now it’s our turn to learn about Melissa as she shares her horse history and love for horses.  

Welcome, Melissa!

GM: Melissa, we met a long time ago. I don’t remember exactly how we connected but working with you through the years has been such fun. To hear of your personal horse experience is thrilling. When was your first encounter with a horse?
MG: I can’t remember, I think I was six or seven, then I started barrel racing at nine years old.

GM: You frequent a lot of rodeos! What is your favorite rodeo event - both to compete and spectate? 
MG: My favorite rodeo event is barrels, and I compete in poles, too. I love roping and started to take lessons when I was about 14; however, I had a horse accident a week after turning 15 years old and I could not do it anymore. I had a brain injury and my equilibrium was messed up, became paralyzed on the right because the left side of my brain could not communicate with the right side. It was hard to ride and maneuver a rope at the same time. I did take English lessons after that to build my balance back up and mostly to overcome the equilibrium problems.

GM: Tell me a little about your past and what happened with your accident?
MG: I was raised in Melbourne, Florida. My dad bought, sold, and trained; therefore, I had several horses throughout the years. He used me many times as a weight for young horses.  I had great balance and could do a lot. I loved riding bareback and was an excellent rider – I had great balance. Besides racing, I participated on a horse drill team for a couple years, too. I worked for a couple other barns while working at my parent’s place growing up. I was a hard worker and outworked many boys. At the age of 7, I was getting up doing chores at 4 or 5 am, while other kids were still sleeping. I had already done more work before school time than most kids in a week.

I had everything organized, focused, goals lined up, and more. I was set. My life changed in 1983. It was about a month or two before my 15th birthday, my dad found a palomino mare (I loved palominos and never had one). He brought it home for an early birthday present and I tried her out. She had a barrel pattern on her. I was in love. Most all my horses I always did my own training on the pattern; but, thought I would make an exception to that rule. LOL. Long story short, it was a week after turning 15 years old, Dad went to deliver a horse in Mims. I was practicing and the mare, stopped and flipped over backwards (I stayed on) and she landed on top of me with me, going face first into the ground. She rolled over my head with the saddle, etc.  Luckily, my mom had been there watching me because she had to pull me out of the ground. I was in a coma and stayed that way for a few days. I was in Holmes Regional in Melbourne. When I came to, I had the mind of a 3-year-old and my vocabulary was messed up. I had to learn how to walk again and my right side would not function properly.  I was not sent for any rehab when released from the hospital so most of that was done with the help from my parents, grandmother, friends, and myself.  I was very hard on myself, and when the doctors said I could go back to doing anything but ride, clog (I was also a clogger then), or roller skate, I was devastated because that’s all I did. So, frustration set in easily. Once, I talked to myself and set myself straight, the determination helped me. I surprised a lot of people when a few months later after being totally released, I pulled up to compete. LOL.  I did clog for a little bit longer but I got very frustrated because my brain would not allow me to remember old routines or grasp new dance routines. So, I think I tried for a few more months on that before retiring.

One of my dreams was to run high school rodeo and I was able to for my Jr. and Sr. year; however, I was not able to go to all of the events or enough to make any points or stay in standings to compete for finals. With the accident and certain things that were still hard to do and parents working a lot, I was just honored that my parents would take me to the ones that I did. I competed in barrels and poles. I wanted to breakaway but with the accident as stated above, I just couldn’t finish the learning and riding process of that.

The accident is one reason why I have been so hard on myself with continuing education and keeping my brain active. At my age now, there are still some things that I must compensate for thinking, riding, etc. Some vocabulary words are still confusing. But, believe me, it doesn’t stop me from talking. LOL. Give me the microphone!

GM: Wow! What a great story of courage and determination; an inspiration for many! As the proprietor of Florida Equine Athlete, when did you begin the magazine and what was your inspiration?

I began the Florida Equine Athlete in 2004 while I was working on my Ph.D. Comprehensives and Dissertation. It took a lot of hours and hard work to do both at the same time. My daughter was young, too, and then with having to keep up with her and family stuff, animals, barrel racing, etc., I learned how to multitask a lot. My Ph.D. is in Organization & Management with a specialization in Information Technology (in short, Business and Technology).  Having been in the horse industry most of my life, I wanted to be able to put my skills and education into an industry that I love so much. I wanted to help others learn more of the business side because I kept hearing from everyone that “You can’t make anything barrel racing, and other criticisms. It is not an appropriate entrepreneurship endeavor.” I always hated hearing that because there are several who are successful. Many athletes (whatever the sport) are successful. It is the same as owning your own business and you must conduct it as such. Just because so and so is not “successful” does not mean give this a negative result, because there are athletes achieving success.  

I found studies that had been completed to confirm that “Cowboys are Entrepreneurs”. I thought, “then why not cowgirls?”. Is there a psychic prison that our society lives in. As I found in my research, cowgirls started competing with men in rough stock events in the late 1800’s and the literature shows successful entrepreneurial motives and performances. During the off-season, women worked second, related jobs as current business entrepreneurs are capable of doing during slow season(s), according to literature I found discussing entrepreneur practices (Robinson, 1999). Robinson affirmed that these first female athlete activities were more lucrative than many dentists, schoolteachers, and other business professionals in that era. So, my work began.

After finding my dissertation committee who believed in my topic and what I wanted to research, my Ph.D. hypothesis was found and the dissertation was titled: Women Athletes and Entrepreneurs: An Exploratory, Comparative study between Women Barrel Racers and Women Who Own Their Own Businesses.

I wanted to be able to relay my findings to fellow barrel racers and therefore, the Florida Equine Athlete was started as we did not have a publication, etc., at the time, that just focused on Florida and contained information for all levels of barrel racing events in the state. I also wanted to make it informational & educational for other subjects too.

GM: This is your 165th issue! How exciting! What has been the most memorable issue for you?
MG: Yes, it is exciting, and I need to thank everyone who has helped me along the way. First of all, I want to thank God, above, because I would not have been able to keep my sanity and strength that is needed to get all this done: past and present; All fellow barrel racers who have helped in some way (all over the U.S.), Barrel Racers who come to my barrel races, and love my movies of their runs at events; my past and current FEA writers; other barrel racing organizations; the Barrel Racers (in and out of Florida that helped me with my dissertation research) and other Women Business entrepreneurs that I cannot list as it is confidential due to my Ph.D. research; and my family and friends. Thank you to ALL my personal and FEA sponsors and advertisers.

The June 2020 edition is the 165th issue. I do not have a most memorable as I have loved all my issues. It has given me the opportunity to meet great people and become part of my FEA Family,  and to find more organizations throughout the Southeast.

The FEA began with the monthly edition of the publication; along with advertising opportunities and focused on Florida.  During these 16 years, it has grown to other divisions such as video productions, administrative services, the Florida Equine Athlete Barrel Racing circuit, Melissa’s Good Timin’ Jackpots, and more advertising opportunities and these ads are seen all over the U.S. and abroad thanks to the many social media communications available.

The FEA now has different formats that it can been purchased in.  It also has grown outside of Florida to include information for Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, and has a Roping section. I also do basic websites for a few customers. It is a service that is available.

GM: An amazing journey, Melissa. Congratulations on your success! Where do you see FEA in ten years? 
MG: Good question - LOL. Currently, there has been a lot going on in my personal life with family illnesses, deaths, etc., and have I have had to focus on the current and not really thought about it. This is not like me because I am always looking ahead.  I am one that needs goals. So, asking me this question is a good thing. Here it goes:

In 10 years:

1.     I would like to have an office and a team (administrative assistant, marketing department, and other staff to help. I would like to have representatives in other states. I do have a couple reps now. Where the office in Florida will be, I am not sure. Geographical location is an important aspect for any business.
2.   I used to do live interviews of companies and professionals, but it got to be too much with trying to get the dissertation done and traveling.  I would like to return to doing that and possibly, maybe, one day get a TV program.
3.   I would also like to expand my barrel racing circuit in Florida but also expand in other States and would like to have a team for that.
4.   I would like to do video advertising (I did these in the past); which, I am currently working on to start again.
5.    Maybe, start an FEA advertising program more and have a couple FEA ads on billboards in Florida and other states, maybe. Get a couple more writers for the Florida Equine Athlete monthly book. 
6.   I would also like to start writing other books myself: Fiction, etc.

GM: Great goals. Writing and sharing them with your readers makes your goal list official! We will be watching as you continue your successful journey. As a rodeo rider, what advice do you have for novice riders?
MG: Your horse is your partner! Treat him or her with respect. If it weren’t for your horse, you wouldn’t be there (no brainer). That horse is there to help you and is doing its best to perform what you are asking. Do NOT allow anyone to tell you that you are not good enough or cannot do it. If have questions, ask someone. There are terrific folks out there who will be glad to help. There is always something that can be learned. Practice benchmarking. Benchmarking in business is where you watch your competition to see what they are doing to be successful and, if there is anything you can relate or change that strategy to help with your endeavor. (For example, on the business IT side, Bill Gates (Microsoft) and Steve Jobs (Apple) in 1981 shared many innovations according to extensive research and in short, this sharing technique helped Microsoft to develop Windows.) So, watch your competitors and see what techniques they use. What is a strategy you may want to learn or can pick up on for you to utilize and make your run better? Attend clinics. There are many professionals that conduct clinics for you to utilize some of their tips.  If you attend a few different clinics, you can pick and choose which strategies are best for you and your horse. Most importantly, practice good sportsmanship.

GM: As a rodeo insider, what would you tell the public to entice them to a rodeo?
MG: Rodeo is one of the first sports allowing cowboys and cowgirls to come off the ranches, doing what they do every day (as stated in my literature review of dissertation), and come together in fellowship, and compete. Rodeo is one of the big sport’s players in the industry (as research proves). It is full of family fun and excitement. You will not find better friends then in the rodeo world.

GM: Being a true cowgirl, I know you have a horse! What horses do you currently stable?
MG: Currently, I have a registered paint Gelding, SonnysSunsationalToo aka Sonny. He is also double registered with the Quarter Horse Registry. His sire is Sunsational Review and his dam is Peps Last Lady (San Peppy Badger in the family tree).  Sonny turned 19 this year. He is a mostly a Sorrel color. Doesn’t look like a typical paint till you look at the socks. Has a white blaze. I got him when he just turned 7 years old. Put the barrel pattern on him and started competing him at 8.  For the next 4 years, He won me a saddle, tack, money, etc. with Championships and Reserve Championships. Won a buckle too. In 2012, we ran our last barrel race.  I remember that I had so much on my mind, that I could not think, and it trickled down to Sonny. My dad was fighting cancer and it was getting worse. I always felt guilty for leaving.  In 2013, I concentrated on the business and spent a lot of time that year with my dad. He passed on Christmas Eve. Sonny is the last horse he and mom bought me. 

There have been some other personal issues during the following years and recently  – family illnesses, accidents, and more that has redirected my focus from personal barrel racing (although, I still have worked hard with the FEA and producing barrel races, etc.) but, am working on getting started up again.  I would like to get about another 2 years of competition with Sonny. My vet (Dr. Hilary Roy, she is a writer for the FEA too) feels he can make a comeback. I have had to get some other issues straightened out with Sonny too.  I, myself, have been working out a lot to get back in shape (thank you to Christi Torborg, she writes for the FEA. She has helped me with meal plans and workout sessions).  It is time to get back in the groove (sort of speak) for myself and having some fun again.

A couple years later after my dad passed in 2013, my horse (that most knew me from), A Statement aka State, passed. He was a Registered Quarter Horse and his sire was Impressem Leo and grandfather was Impressive and great grandfather was Leo. His dam was Goldseeker Cheat and her sire went back to Three Bars. I got him when he just turned 2. My dad and mom got him for me too.  I trained and patterned him on the pattern. I ran him a little at 3 and started more as he got older. He was my German Tank and did anything for me. We had that special partnership. As I was told by quite a few, including my daughter, “when you thought of State, you thought of Melissa and when you thought of Melissa, you thought of State”.

With me training him, he knew certain things he had to do to get me situated better (remember from the accident, when I said I had to compensate certain things with my riding). For example, when we came out of the 1st barrel (because I was leaning to  my right side and it’s hard to get situated back up, he would actually hop on his back feet and switch to the other lead and it would put me back on the saddle where I needed to be.

I became a member of the National Barrel Horse Association when it first started. Had an early membership number. There were only three districts, I believe in Florida and I was district 3 as I had moved to Vero Beach, FL for a couple years.  We made it to the National Barrel Horse Association Finals in, I think 2002, and came in 200 something out of 900 and something entries. Can’t remember the exact number. We also won many awards, money, and top 10 in pole bending. He was awesome in poles. He was that rare horse that didn’t hit a barrel or pole in competition. I know many will debate that statement; but, it’s true. There are several names that I can give to prove it. He was awesome. Now, when practicing he would hit. I think he would do it on purpose to make a game out of it LOL. We didn’t practice much because he didn’t like to. Just kept him legged up.  I competed him for 15- 16 years. With all the years of college (finally finished that, I think, when I was 38 or 39) - I have 2 A.S. degrees (did at the same time), Bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, and the Ph.D.), we were able to compete but just couldn’t run enough to get enough points for organizations. But that was okay. We raced when we could. I had to retire him at the age of 18 due to kicking the wall and he ruined everything in his back leg. He could hardly walk for a couple weeks but finally got him walking at least around the pasture, etc. after a while. Finally, was able to hop on him. You just could not ride him for a very long time. So, I would just throw the bridle on and ride him bareback for about 15 minutes. We finally worked up to 30 minutes and then, sometimes, worked up to 45 minutes, depending on how he felt. But that was strictly at a walk.  He was 26 ½ when he passed and still looked like my tank. He is buried out back.

GM: What does horsemanship mean to you?
MG: I feel Horsemanship is being one with the horse. You build a connection and a partnership, a trust. You build the relationship, to the point, of understanding each other. What each other is going to do.  Each horse has its own personality and learning style of what pressures to use, what technique works, and what tack equipment works best. Just because one thing works for another doesn’t mean it will work on the horse in front of you. One needs to pay attention to that specific horse. You are using psychological strategies between you and that horse when training/riding. Horses learn by repetition, so taking your time to get to know and understand him or her helps build that trust and partnership.  I understand there are horses that are just more stubborn. So, you must find the way to link with that horse. Sometimes, it just takes more patience, work, and a lot of time. One does not always know the past events of that horse, if working with an older one. This may require you to research its past or with the industry of discipline it comes from.  In summary, horsemanship, to me, is being able to understand and build the trust, connection, and relationship to you and the horse and, therefore, creating that partnership that never unbinds.

Connect with Melissa...

Melissa and Sonny running poles.

Melissa at the High School Rodeo

Melissa circa 2009

Melissa and Sonny 2011 Indiantown Buckle Winners!






No comments:

Milliron Monday

  Taking a break this week. Enjoy previous Milliron Monday's Here . Visit the Milliron Facebook Gallery Here. Visit my website @ www.gmc...