Friday, March 6, 2020

Riding Horses in the US: An Interview with the Horseman of India



Riding Horses in the US: An Interview with the Horseman of India
by Gina McKnight
Archived from the February 2020 Issue of Florida Equine Athlete
No duplication without permission.

The proprietor of Silver Studs, India, Anish Gajjar is known as The Horseman of India. He is a horse trainer, consultant, riding instructor, and more. Gajjar travels throughout India empowering the equestrian movement and love for horses. He travels the world to experience different horse cultures and enjoys connecting with horses and people.

Last year, Gajjar traveled to the US to experience our amazing equine society. Visiting the rodeo, living the ranch life, and riding different horse breeds, Gajjar was able to see our passion for horses, too.  From Pennsylvania to Oregon, Gajjar was impressed with our horse breeds, stable management, and equine facilities. I had the opportunity to connect with Gajjar and learn about his visit to the United States.

Welcome, Anish!

GM: As an accomplished horseman, tell us about your horse history...
AG: I was born into a family that has had horses and even as a child, I always was fascinated by them. As a kid, I would only do joy rides and hadn’t taken up any professional coaching. But at the age of 16, I joined a riding club to get proper training. My coach was from the 61st Cavalry of the Indian Army, which has turned out some of the best horsemen of India. I was fortunate to get the right kind of attention to detail and a varied experience of all types of equestrian sports. I began assisting my coach with training sessions within 2 years of joining the club, and then gradually moved on to coaching on my own. I have managed 2 riding clubs and also started India’s first livery yard. In 2008, seeing the need for an organised platform in our region for horse lovers, I got into organising equestrian sports and breed shows. Later on, we also organised Gujarat’s first endurance ride competition and went on to getting the 120 km Nationals home. In 2013, we started Gujarat’s premier livestock fair with over 600 horses participating in sports competitions, equestrian games and trading. I have also had the privilege of traveling to different countries every year and observing their equine culture, which helps me to learn so much from wherever I go. 

GM: Vacationing in the US in 2019, you visited a few horse stables. Where did you go and what horse breeds did you see?
AG: While growing up, I have always loved watching western movies and it has been a dream to go see the American Quarter Horses and Mustangs. During my visit to the USA in 2019, I saw Quarter Horses and Tennessee Walking Horses near Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, Appaloosas near Philadelphia and Mustangs in Oregon. I also attended a rodeo competition and went on a trail ride in Oregon. I feel I have not seen enough, especially since the US is so vast, I will have to come back again and again to explore each region separately.

GM: Compared to your homeland, are the stables here much different or are they similar?
AG: Stabling systems in India have always been very varied. One can see horses in natural paddocks around a tree, as well as the luxurious stables of some established breeders. Generally speaking, in the US, I loved visiting and seeing how different stables were being made and managed. One aspect that was different from India is that I saw a lot of wood being used in American stables, whereas in India, you can see more of brick, concrete and metal. Also, the horse management systems were very interesting in some of the stables in America. The attention to detail of each individual horse’s needs and the do’s and don’ts related to the well-being of horses is of utmost importance. I saw some music going on in the stables all day, which was really nice. A lot of modular designs were very interesting to see and also the various tools that help in making horse management easier and better.

GM: Of all the places you visited in the US, which made the best impression?
AG: Each place I visited has a special memory attached to it along with an amazing experience, but if I have to choose one, then it would be the ride on a Tennessee Walker. That was my first time on this breed and especially since they walk very differently as compared to our breeds back home, it was quite an experience to ride one. The aids are also slightly different and when the lady who owned the horses appreciated the fact that I got it right quite easily, I was thrilled!

GM: In India, you have a lot of clients who depend upon you for equine acquisition, stable management, and everything equine. Do you mainly work with Marwari horses, or do you have access to all breeds?
AG: Considering that our region dominantly consists of the Marwari breed, I do work a lot with Marwaris. Although, sometimes I also get to work with Kathiawaris, Sindhis and the English Thoroughbreds. India is not a big market for crossbreds (except for the fact that the Mounted Police teams do use them a lot), but once in a while I do come across a good half bred too at a private stable and it is always interesting to understand which two breeds have come together and created a unique combination, which can be different even if you breed the same two horses again.

GM: When helping a new client find a horse, what are your methods for matching the right horse, training, and stable management?
AG: I provide complete equine solutions and guidance for my clients, as most of them are hesitant while buying their first horse. I help them with procurement, training, stable designs, feed composition and also the training of their stablehands. I also do guided tours for visitors from other parts of the world to come and understand how Indian horse markets work and what are the significant traits of horses here.

Upon receiving an inquiry, I first meet with my client and understand exactly why he or she wants to get a horse and what kind of temperament and breed they are looking for. If there is any confusion in their requirement, I discuss it out with them and give my suggestions. If I feel they are clear about what they want, then I go about searching for the right horse for them based on temperament, soundness, gender, age, colour, price and training level. Indian markets are also largely affected by superstitions like whorls and colour markings, due to which the prices of the horses may go up or down. I educate my clients about these facts and let them take their own decisions on what they would like to believe in, or not.

GM: Will you visit the US again soon? Do you have a list of new places you would like to visit?
AG: Definitely! I would love to visit again in 2020-21 and this time around, I intend to visit Texas, Nevada, Arizona and Montana to explore the beautiful countryside, nature parks and equestrian activity of these regions and also spend more time at ranches and stables where I can understand and learn more about how each area can have a different practice and how I can incorporate some of them into my world.

~~~

Now, back in India, Gajjar continues the business of horsemanship. The indigenous Marwari, known for their curving ears and good disposition, are the star of his business. Besides working with client’s horses, Gajjar currently stables Sabi, a six-year-old skewbald Marwari mare. He found the 15.1hh mare “very feisty, badly abused, and with trust issues.” All of which are an exciting challenge to the horseman. “Sabi is pure Marwari from good bloodlines and is gradually getting her head back,” Gajjar said. We’ll keep you updated on Sabi as we follow Gajjar and his return to the US for another equine vacation.

Connect with Gajjar  www.anishgajjar.com



No comments:

Milliron Monday

  Taking a break this week. Enjoy previous Milliron Monday's Here . Visit the Milliron Facebook Gallery Here. Visit my website @ www.gmc...