Saturday, December 1, 2018

An Interview with Marvin Blanton, Professional Rodeo Announcer by Gina McKnight


An Interview with Marvin Blanton, Professional Rodeo Announcer
by Gina McKnight
Archived from the November 2018 Issue of Florida Equine Athlete www.floridaequineathlete.com
No duplication without permission.

From Blanket, Texas, now living in Campobello, South Carolina, Marvin Blanton is a Professional Rodeo Announcer and seasoned cowboy, announcing the ups and downs in the rodeo arena. Marvin grew up in the rodeo and brings spectators the optimum rodeo experience. Marvin says, "I look around this arena at all the spectators that paid money to get in and my job is to work with this team to make sure they get every penny's worth."  

Welcome, Marvin!

GM: It is a thrill to connect with you, Marvin. Thank you for being part of our Florida Equine Athlete community! I’m positive you’ve had your share of horses. What is your horse history?
MB: I grew up around horses and a father and grandfather who instilled horsemanship and the cowboy way of life. My grandfather was larger than life to me and all I wanted to do at a young age was to make him proud of me and the horses that I rode. I later had the opportunity to work for Johnny Rich on the Standing J Ranch who took me to another level in horsemanship.

GM: When was your first encounter with a horse?
MB: I don’t know that I can remember my first encounter with a horse. Dad put us on horses when we were kids on the ranch in Lometa, Texas, to help out where needed.

GM: Riding the rodeo circuit at a young age, what life-changing experiences did you have and what is your advice to novice riders?
MB: I was actually very fortunate, there were five of us kids and very little money, so buying a high dollar automatic horse was not an option. I was taught to make good horses out of what we had. I will say that drew the attention of others. When they saw the willingness and dedication, they invested their time in me and helped me out as well; people like Buddy Dame, Johnny Rich, Dan Fisher, and Guy Allen. I can’t thank them enough!

My advice to novice riders would be to put more effort into building your horsemanship skills – your horses will thank you for it! Find someone that will teach you the right ways and be a sponge, learn everything you can. Yes……buy a horse that is sound, safe and capable of the discipline that you want to participate in, but start out putting more time and money into a clinician. This will impact every horse you come in contact with for the rest of your life.

GM: That is wise advice. When did you become a Professional Rodeo Announcer?
MB: We’ve been announcing since 2001.

GM: Throughout your career as an announcer, what event is the most memorable?
MB:  Three years ago announcing the Pendleton, South Carolina Rodeo and working with The One Armed Bandit John Payne because I used to watch John perform when I roped in the PRCA years ago and now getting to work with him was full circle for me in the industry. Checked that one off of the bucket list!

He’s a great entertainer and pretty cool to call him a friend.

GM: John Payne is cool! I saw him in action in Columbus, Ohio, at Equine Affaire. In your opinion, which rodeo event requires the most stamina and athletic ability? What is your favorite rodeo event?
MB: Each of the rodeo events brings its own requirements of athletic ability and stamina. The athletic ability, balance, and precision as a jockey in barrel racing; the athletic ability and stamina of a roper; the balance, stamina and athletic ability of the rough stock riders. Each one brings its challenges physically and mentally. The difference is in the contestants who put in the additional time and training to make the athletic ability, stamina and balance natural and seamless.

Of course, my favorite event would be the classic saddle bronc riding, I do like a good bucking horse but when it comes to announcing a rodeo there’s nothing like the barrel racing to pick up a crowd. They like a horse race.

GM: Working at the rodeo, you come into contact with both spectators and participants. For a person who has never seen a rodeo and who would like to attend a rodeo, which arena in the USA would you recommend?
MB: I don’t know that I have that one favorite to pick out but I do have several favorites in different parts of the country such as:
  • -      Silver Spurs Arena in Kissimmee, Florida, for producing the Ram National Circuit Finals Rodeo; you get to see the top contestants from each circuit there.
  • -      Buck Johnson Arena in Pecos, Texas. that has one of the oldest and among the largest arenas to compete.
  • -      Cowtown Arena in Pilesgrove Township, New Jersey, who has the oldest weekly running PRCA rodeo in the nation.
  • -      T. ED Garrison Arena in Pendleton, South Carolina, where Easy Bend Rodeo puts one of the premier rodeos of the southeast.
  • -      Nampa Idaho with the Snake River Stampede where I first met Rex Allen senior 


GM: Wow! What a list. That will a bucket list for a lot of people! I know you’ve probably seen every rodeo scenario. What are the challenges of being a Professional Rodeo Announcer?
MB: Ha-ha, keeping up with the projects at home. Staying ahead working on stats on day sheets prior to each rodeo so when I get there I can concentrate on the Production.

GM: Every Professional Rodeo Announcer has horses in the barn. What horses do you currently stable?
MB:  Whiskey is a paint quarter horse gelding that I announce rodeos on. He was previously bucking horse now turned saddle horse; a well-accomplished rope horse but still carries that bucking horse attitude. He doesn’t care for people or other horses. We’ve been a lot of miles together.

Pax is a Gruella quarter horse gelding that I used to announce from until my youngest daughter took him to compete on as a breakaway roper. Pax is a horse with a kind eye, big heart and big motor.

Gambler is a blue roan quarter horse gelding that my youngest daughter and I have started this fall. He will be a long-term project horse for my grandson. Gambler is a very smooth and balanced mover with a lot of willingness to please.

Then there’s Casper, he’s a 13-hand pony that my youngest daughter uses for a lesson horse. Great with the kids and easy to move around.  

GM: Were you hit by the recent hurricane? How has it impacted the local rodeo scene and/or your own property?
MB: We were more fortunate than many; although the eye of the hurricane made its way through our area we had minimal impact from the storm. Downed tree limbs and about five inches of rain. They say timing is everything and this was so true for the week that the hurricane passed through because it was the first weekend in a while that I was scheduled off so I didn’t have to contend with scheduling issues. There were a couple of rodeos that were rescheduled or canceled in the southeast.

GM: What does horsemanship mean to you?
MB: You know I never considered my grandfather a clinician (we didn’t know what that meant growing up) but he instilled into me to always leave the horse in better shape when you got off of him than when you got on him. Physically, mentally and emotionally.

Connect with Marvin…

Gina McKnight is a freelance writer and author from Ohio, USA. www.gmcknight.com

Photo Courtesy Lyndsey Ogle Photography 



No comments:

Milliron Monday

  Taking a break this week. Enjoy previous Milliron Monday's Here . Visit the Milliron Facebook Gallery Here. Visit my website @ www.gmc...