Monday, February 6, 2023

Milliron Monday: Tinker's Broken Leg

 

X-ray of Tinker's broken leg. Tinker at the barn with Zubie

Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.:  June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010
Virginia Joyann "Jody" Haley Smith: April 2, 1938 - May 9, 2021
Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Milliron Farm and Clinic, Dr. Pete and Jody Smith. 

"It's too far from your heart to hurt you."
― Dr. Pete Smith

It would be nice if my cat could talk, then he could tell me how he broke his leg! Did he jump from the haymow? Did my mare step on him? Did he get caught in something? I've no clue. After a trip to the nearest veterinarian and X-rays, Tinker was diagnosed with a break of the ulnas and radius. What's the treatment? I was given these options: Ohio State University Vet Hospital (there are two in Columbus), or amputate the leg (!). Of course, an orthopedic vet can plate the break, but I would never consider amputating Tinker's leg unless it was absolutely necessary, and I am a little concerned that amputating the leg was an option. 

Where's a country vet when you need one? I asked why the leg couldn't be reset and cast. Makes sense to me. Isn't that what Dr. Smith would do? I was told that there are no vets in our area (or the State of Ohio) that can do orthopedic surgery on cats except at OSU. Don't you think this is a little strange that we don't have an orthopedic animal surgeon in our area? Or anywhere else in Ohio besides Columbus? Someone, please dial the Universe and let them know that we need a Dr. Smith!

After Dr. Abfall retired, my mare acquired an abscess. I called Foggy Ridge, Dr. Rutter came to the barn. I was impressed with the care and glad that I now have a quality vet for Zubie. I also recommend Dr. Stacy Rourke, Guardian Animal Clinic and Dr. Groah, Morgan Vet Clinic. But, what to do if a cat breaks a leg? 

My animals are part of my family. The vet I took Tinker to assumed I could drive to OSU that same day, which I could not. They gave me three days of medicine to help with Tinker's pain and to keep him comfortable. In the meantime, I had to come up with a plan to get Tinker better quick. He's an inside/outside cat, mostly a barn cat, but we let him in the house when it's cold. He's a sweet, smart, snuggly cat that deserves only the best.

Checking with my farm friends, they, too, were amazed that I was told to go to OSU. Without hesitation, they recommended Dr. Elaine Whalin, Wolf Creek Animal Care, Stockport

Driving State Route 550, past the former Milliron Clinic and Farm, I talked out loud to Dr. Smith and told him where I was going. I am sure he heard... somehow. The country roads to Wolf Creek are windy, but an easy route to follow. Upon arrival, I walked up the steps to the two-story clinic and signed in. We were second in line to see the doctor. 

We were placed in the blue-walled exam room with a window overlooking a working farm. Dr. Whalin came in and gave Tinker a thorough check. Tinker stayed overnight while Dr. Whalin fixed his bones and cast his leg. It was that easy. Expert care should never be taken for granted. 

Bottom line, I love my animals. If you need any veterinarian care, I highly recommend Dr. Whalin and her staff. I will keep you posted on Tinker's progress. Thank goodness I found a country vet! 


Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian.

  

No comments:

Milliron Monday

  Taking a break this week. Enjoy previous Milliron Monday's Here . Visit the Milliron Facebook Gallery Here. Visit my website @ www.gmc...