Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Dutch Oven Cooking in the Great Outdoors by Sandra Russell

 

Dutch Oven Cooking in the Great Outdoors

Art & Story by Sandra Russell

Last week I opened my big mouth to volunteer to cook for an outdoor party/reunion in October. I haven't used my Dutch ovens at all in recent years and I have 4 or 5 of them? Yikes! I did used to cook in these cast iron wonders frequently. At one time I even cooked a small turkey outdoors in the snow for a Thanksgiving. I cooked in a Franklin Woodstove and at a Pioneer's Celebration at Tar Hollow State Park. But like I said, it has been years, so my confidence can only be improved by doing a couple trial runs before October.

I intend to try stacking two of them for two pans of cornbread (never cooked them stacked but have seen it done). Apple crisp or a cobbler in one, and for old times’ sake and really delicious eating, will do a beef dish. Basically will be cooking a full meal. Maybe do some bean soup as well.

Anyhow, this recipe is one of my own. I actually made this dish for a Cinco de Mayo party about 15 years ago. Here it is…

You will need a ten-inch cast iron Dutch oven, some charcoal briquets and lighter fluid, a hook to lift the hot ashy lid when the food is done and some serving ware. 

3 or 4 lbs. of sirloin tip

1/2 cup of Cabernet Sauvignon or other dry red wine

3 cloves of garlic

1 large onion chopped

Marinate the meat for a few hours or overnight in refrigerator with a teaspoon of soy sauce, a teaspoon of honey, 1 Knorr brand (only) beef bouillon cube

A couple fresh basil leaves or a shake of dried basil

Drain a small can of pinto beans, (hominy might be good, too)

Add a can of diced tomato with green chilies drain lightly

To cook this, start a fire in a sand pit or bare area of ground and put about 10 charcoal bricks in a stack, light these and when burned down and glowing set the bottom of the Dutch oven on those to heat...reserve another small pile of about 15 charcoals and light those off to the side to 'stoke the fire' and to add to the lid later (just helps prevent lighter fluid from running where it shouldn't).

Once the pot has warmed a minute, add all the food ingredients, top this with the cast iron lid and place your reserved hot coals on top to cover the lid, pile them up, make sure the lid is on level when all gets hot this will make a seal. (It's a good idea to have a pot lid lifter, or a small crowbar and a whisk broom to brush off the ashes and lift the lid when the food is done).

After cooking about an hour, add half a lb. of Monterey Jack or Colby Cheese to the food, put the lid back on and heat an additional 20min. Serve with guacamole and chips black olives, chopped onion...etc.

It's delicious!




No comments:

National Poetry Month: "Floorboards" A Poem by Mark M. Dean

Floorboards 4/14/2024 by © Mark M. Dean I’ve always prided myself on my exit plan My daily routine Sliding out of bed with the utmos...