Sunday, October 6, 2019

Equine Massage: An Interview with Taryn Stillwell


Equine Massage: An Interview with Taryn Stillwell

by Gina McKnight
Archived from the September 2019 Issue of Florida Equine Athlete
No duplication without permission.

This summer, my dapple Quarter horse, Mac (ornery Mac), sprained his front right shoulder. He hobbled around for a few days, then I decided to call our local Equine Massage Therapist, Taryn Stillwell. This was my first time hiring an equine therapist. The results have been amazing. Now, Taryn is the official therapist for my stables and has worked on both of my horses – Zubie and Mac.

Today, Taryn arrived at my barn to give Mac a second treatment – to make sure he is completely sound. It was an early morning appointment and just last night Taryn flew in from Florida, servicing equines there. She’s a trooper and always dependable. Besides that, her massage technique and barn manners are top drawer.

Taryn is the proprietor of Yarnell Equine Massage, servicing the Ohio valley as well as clientele in Florida, working in the Wellington and Ocala areas since 2016. Taryn lives in Junction City, Ohio, just about a thirty-minute drive from my stable. Taryn writes, “My passion for horses began at a young age, and I always knew my career path would somehow revolve around that love. After graduating from Hocking College with an Associates degree in Equine Health and Complimentary Therapies in 2014, I hit the ground running with big goals. In just a few short years, I take great pride in being known as one of Ohio's premier therapists and being the chosen professional to many well-known riders including Jesse and Stacy Westfall and Luke Gingerich.”

Welcome, Taryn!

GM: When was your first encounter with a horse?
TS: I have been blessed to have been around horses most of my life. My parents made the mistake of setting me on the back of our miniature horse we owned at the time, Sunny, at about four years old and walking me around the garage. The "bug" bit me immediately and the passion grew from there. Not long after the initial encounter, I was enrolled in riding lessons in various disciplines, attended horseback riding summer camp, and took every opportunity I could to be around horses. A short time after that, my parents found my perfect first horse. She was a little paint mare, Kalisa, who was being used as a therapy horse at the time. Over the next few years, that little mare taught me more than I ever expected.

GM: What horses do you currently stable? 
TS: I currently own two geldings. Senor Blancopepper, Sgt. Pepper, is my 20-year-old heart horse. He came into my life 14 years ago when I was transitioning back to barrel racing from western pleasure. In his prime, 2009-2010, he carried me around the country - as far west as Ft. Worth and Oklahoma City. Some highlights include: 2009 APHA Reserve World Champion in Novice Youth Barrel Racing, 2010 Pinto World Championships Open Gymkhana Highpoint Champion, and an IBRA National Finalist that same year.

In 2012, my world was shaken. While at a friend’s house for a few days, Sgt. took a bullet ricochet straight into the bottom joint in the hock. That wound then got infected with an anaerobic infection The Ohio State University had only seen this once before, and in that case, it was eating bone and fatal at two weeks. They weren't sure that they would be able to save him, and if they did, they assured me he would most likely only be pasture sound. Thanks to financial help from my Dad and my grandparents, we told them to do anything possible to save this horse. After two weeks, Sgt. was released to come home. He qualified three years later for the NBHA World Championships and remains sound to this day. Though I don't have as much time as I'd like to ride, he lives happily out in the field and will, one day, take my kids to the top of the Peewee division.

I also own an 11-year-old appendix gelding, Braggs Hot Cat. Cat was raced on the track in his younger days. When digging into his racing career, I learned that he lost every race he was entered in. He would lead the race most of the way, and then look back at the rest of the pack and wait for them to catch up. His track career was short lived. Though he may not be the brightest bulb in the pack, he has the sweetest personality, is trustworthy, and has the athletic ability to go far as a barrel horse. 

Recently, I added a 10-year-old gelding donkey to my herd. Chico truly adds an element of personality on our farm that I didn't know was missing. He is loved!

GM: I’ve seen the photo of Chico! He’s adorable. And congratulations on your success! You have an impressive horse history! How long have you been an equine massage therapist? 
TS: I have been working in the field for six years. I was blessed to begin working while I was still in school, proved myself to a local chiropractor that is one of the best in the industry, and he really jump-started my career for me. In July of 2018, I took the leap of faith to leave my full-time job at Tractor Supply Company to work full-time for myself. Though that was a terrifying step to make, it turned out to be the best decision I have ever made. I currently service all of Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky, North Carolina, Indiana, and Florida. There is no place I won't go, as long as minimums are met to cover my expenses. My goal is to be the Equine Massage Therapist for Team USA!

GM: Taryn, I’ve seen you in action! You are amazing. Certainly, you will reach your goal. Where did you learn your trade?
TS: This is the part of the story I love to tell. Being an equine massage therapist was never on my radar. I was always told growing up and as a teenager, there are no jobs in the horse industry, pick something else. I listened to that advice for a few years. My Dad, now retired, was a Lieutenant for Westerville Fire Department, my cousin was a county deputy, and various other family members are first responders as well. I decided to follow in their footsteps and pursue a career in law enforcement. In 2011, I started at Hocking College for exactly that. After one year, I realized that wasn't where my calling was. Discouraged and confused as to what my purpose in this life was, I made the decision to pursue a career in the horse industry. I changed to the Equine Health and Complimentary Therapies program with the hopes of becoming an equine chiropractor. I believe it was my first semester in the program, one of the classes was Equine Massage. Little did I know that's where it all would begin. At the time, the instructor tried to get me to drop the class on the grounds that I was currently in anatomy and physiology, not already completed and that the class would be too hard for me to pass. I missed one grade point the entire semester and began working while still in the class. I still laugh about that one.

I'm thankful for the in-depth anatomy and physiology education that I received at Hocking College. It gave me the fundamentals needed to be a successful professional in the horse industry. Since graduation, and over the course of hundreds of horses, I have formed my own technique that focuses on the performance enhancement and muscular rehabilitation of the horse. I do deep tissue therapy, and my specialty is with performance horses of all disciplines.

GM: Of all the horses you have worked with, what has been the worst-case scenario to success?
TS: This old gelding, Ranger, that I got called to work on just after Memorial Day of 2018. This guy was a retired Amish buggy horse that broke his hip at some point, and the current owner obtained him out of that situation. The hip had "healed" but he just wasn't right.  For years, she reached out to countless professionals to try to help this guy. All of the vets, farriers, friends, etc. that looked at him all recommended euthanasia due to quality of life, but the owner just didn't think Ranger was saying he was ready. Finally, she had a chiropractor out. He also suggested euthanasia but gave this owner my information to see if I could possibly help.

When I first saw Ranger and set a hand on him, I immediately told the owner that I didn't think there was much I could do for him and that maybe all of those professionals were right, but I also agreed that I would give it a shot. He was severely underweight, though the vet had looked at him and confirmed that his teeth were fine, etc., and didn't have any body mass to work with.  Discussing the weight issue, knowing that the teeth were fine, and Ranger had no visible reason to not be eating his grain, I asked if she had tried changing the feed? Maybe he just didn't like it? Yepp! He was started on a senior feed and has since put on several hundred pounds! The ole guy just didn't like the feed!

Over the next few months, amazing changes started to take place. Ranger started with countless muscles contracted and not functional, and slowly I started to get them to release. I decided to have the owner start to walk him a few times a week. Though he lived in the pasture, movement was minimal, so handwalking would encourage him to stride out more than he does on his own. That then progressed to her riding him at a walk bareback to be able to push him forward a little easier. Every session, I was seeing more and more release. The walks started out with five minutes and are now at 20 minutes every other day! The horse that everyone said put down is now being ridden! 

Here we are a year later, and the amount of change in this horse is incredible. I just received a video from the flabbergasted owner of Ranger running with the herd to the top of the hill out in the pasture. He may not last all at that speed long before he breaks down to a walk, but to see him doing that at all is incredible and, per the owner, he has never done that since I got him! He also can pick up all four feet for the farrier, who used to struggle with the back feet as a result of the injury and surrounding contractions. I see Ranger every four weeks and we continue to take consistent steps forward. Though massage therapy made a life changing difference for this horse, I credit a good portion of the success we have seen to the owner. Her devotion to this horse is what has given me the opportunities I have with him. Ranger is a prime example of the importance of the "team" concept between professional and owner. Each time I see Ranger, I post an update on my business Facebook page, Yarnell Equine Massage, because so many people have taken an interest in his journey.

GM: For horse owners who don’t know, how should they prepare their horse for therapy? What should they expect from the treatment, and what do they need to do afterward?
TS: I am used to working in all conditions, so I am pretty easy to please. A horse free of crusty mud does make my job easier. The mud reduces my ability to slide my fingers across the surface and apply the correct pressure when needed. Over the winter, a warm horse is easier to work on than a cold horse. A short lunge to get the heart rate up circulates the blood and warms the muscles up. Through the summer, this isn't as important. Fly spray is appreciated though, as a constantly stomping and twitching horse is difficult to work on.

For the session itself, I prefer to work wherever the horse will stand most quiet. For some horses this is in the stall, others it may be in crossties, etc. I am not picky. Some horses react to discomfort by moving away, so some movement is normal and not grounds for discipline or frustration. My feet move, too.

As far as during the session, I work front to back, top to bottom. I will address all superficial muscles one by one, working to alleviate as much tension as I can in that session. Once I'm satisfied with the release throughout, I will transition to a variety of stretches that focus on poll release, if needed, and a deeper release of the front end. Once finished, I will observe the horse at a walk for a short period, to ensure that what I felt with my hands matches the motion and that I didn't miss anything. I generally recommend turnout post session. Movement is key for these horses so that mentally they can realize what hurt before may not hurt now. Horses are smart and learn how to protect themselves. Walking and turnout helps prevent them from tensing back up.

In cases with significant widespread tension or contraction, multiple sessions may be needed, but my goal is to give you as the owner, stretches and tools to be able to continue progress on your own, minimizing the need for multiple sessions and being able to get the horse onto a maintenance routine faster.  

GM: The "old" cowboys probably never had their horses treated by a massage therapist. However, in history, racehorses have been known to receive treatments to help them perform on the track. When should a horse owner consider the need for massage therapy and how often?
TS: There are a lot of factors that determine when you need a massage therapist that I think people don't always realize. First and foremost, if your chiropractor is at your barn regularly and always finds the same things "out", usually it’s because a muscle pulled it that way. If they haven't mentioned that to you as an owner, find a new chiropractor. They are taking your money because it will continue to be a repeat issue, instead of having the best interest of the horse in mind and helping you find a solution that truly fixes it.

Second, if your trained horse suddenly starts having behavioral issues such as cross firing at the canter, refusing jumps, not backing up, ducking barrels, etc., it’s probably muscle! Finished horses don't act up for no reason.

Third, if your horse does any of the following, you probably need a massage therapist: dragging the back toes, lack of flexibility one or both directions, backing crooked, tripping, bucking especially during gait transitions, trail horses zig-zagging up and down hills, unlevel knees or inability to even pick knees up in jumpers, lack of forward "flick" in dressage, the list goes on and on. Massage therapy, at least with the type I offer, is so much more than a relaxing rubdown. It is a therapy session that is vital for maintaining an athletes ability to do its job.

As far as how often, it varies. I see my upper level endurance horses every four weeks through season. A recreational ride that's worked a few days a week, maintenance sessions are no more than 12 weeks apart.

GM: Do you have advice for those looking to pursue a career as an equine massage therapist?
TS: If this is truly what you want to do, study. Get the anatomy base and then apprentice with a professional to learn the technique. You will build your credibility as a professional when you can tell the owners what the horse is doing, good and bad, under saddle based off of your findings in the muscles, without them giving you any hints. This comes from a thorough knowledge of anatomy and biomechanics, as well as studying, evaluating, and watching hundreds of horses to be able to link tension severity to function. 

A college degree is worth more than a weeklong certification, and years in the field is worth more than a fresh out of school student. Be aware of what market rate is in your area and price yourself accordingly. Market rate in my area is $60-$75/ session. I started out of school at $35. It didn't cover my gas or expenses, but it got my hands on a lot of horses to learn and grow. Over 6 years I have been able to raise it slowly to compensate for experience and continuing education.

If you have to drive an hour and a half one way to do one horse, do it and work to the best of your ability. That one-horse turns to two, turns to a barn full, and then you’re doing their neighbors as well. Word of mouth is your best friend and in this industry it’s all who you know, or who knows you.

Be ethical. Always keep the best interest of the horse in mind. Give the owners the tools to continue your work. Make it your goal to only need to be there every few months. Again, this is an ethics and credibility thing.

Be ready to sacrifice everything. Any business owner will tell you that success doesn't come without sacrifice. 2018, before I left my full-time job, a 15-hour day was short. I worked Monday- Friday 7-3 at TSC, and then would hit the road and invest another 8-10 hours into my clientele. I am incredibly thankful for a husband that took care of my animals and the house as well as tolerated my absence as I worked 15-18 hour days. There are days I would be walking into a barn two hours from home at 10PM, but I had a smile on my face every single day. Friends disappeared because I could no longer invest time in a social life, and don't get me wrong, there were times I struggled with that! But I had my goals and I kept pushing forward. That perseverance gave me the opportunity to work full time for myself, which few therapists succeed at. Now, coming up on a year later, I am scheduled almost a month out and am back to working 12-15 hour days. However, this "growing pain" I'm feeling right now is preparing me to bring a second therapist on, so I will persevere knowing the plans in store.

Lastly, be smart. Learn how to use your body. This is NOT an easy field and if you don't learn how to take the weight off of your hands and wrists, you'll have physical issues within a matter of years. I went on vacation in March and when I came home, I did 43 horses in a week. By Friday morning, I was sore in my traps and my core, but not my hands and wrists. Learn how to lock your arms in a way that puts the stress on larger muscle areas instead of isolated joints.

GM: As an equine massage therapist, have you encountered horses that do not do well with massage therapy?  
TS: Not really. Some horses are more antsy than others, but patience is key and generally by the second or third session they settle down and realize your there to help. Horses that have significant tension and soreness can be reactive as you palpate, but experience teaches you to alter your pressure and work up as the horse tolerates. Flexibility in your methods allows for widespread success. I had one mare a few years back that, out of the blue, started double barrel firing repeatedly at me. Thankfully I was able to push away and get to safety without incident, but I was left frustrated because I had been working on the same spot for several minutes with no reaction. They ended up hauling her to the vet a week or so later and found that she had a pinched nerve up by her sacrum. When I was working, she shifted in a way that made that nerve fire and she kicked out. So, when explosive reactions happen, it’s important to look at all avenues.

GM: What does horsemanship mean to you?
TS: Horsemanship is the ability to adapt to the needs of the horse by being flexible in your methods, while continuing in the pursuit of a realistic goal.

Connect with Taryn on facebook @yarnellequinemassage.
Gina McKnight is a freelance writer from Ohio USA www.gmcknight.com




1 comment:

Deanie Humphrys-Dunne said...

This interview was very interesting and educational. You both did a great job. Congratulations and best wishes.

Milliron Monday

  Taking a break this week. Enjoy previous Milliron Monday's Here . Visit the Milliron Facebook Gallery Here. Visit my website @ www.gmc...