Monday, July 22, 2019

Milliron Monday: Reminiscing 7 22 19


Abbott "Pete" Smith, D.V.M.
June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010

Above, at Monday Creek Stables.
Flowers by Family Tree Florist, Nelsonville, Ohio
Ohio Ceramic, Nelsonville Emporium, Nelsonville, Ohio


“These fragments I have shored against my ruins”

― T.S. Eliot


Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Pete Smith, D.V.M., and  Milliron: Abbott “Pete” Smith, D.V.M. The Biography (Monday Creek Publishing 2017). A graduate of Colorado State University and a well-known veterinarian in southeast Ohio, Dr. Smith continues to motivate and inspire. 

A break from the tales of the Milliron Clinic parking lot, today I would like to express my gratitude for the Milliron legacy. Without Dr. Smith and his camp of (still) loyal clients, you would not be reading Milliron Monday, or Dr. Smith’s high school essays, or his biography. There is a lot to share. But mostly, besides sharing the wonderful stories, I am grateful for the Milliron Clinic circle of people. They have become my friends. I meet regularly with them now. Sometimes they reminisce about Dr. Smith, other times we share current events and speculate what Dr. Smith may or may not do in any given situation, especially in regard to animal care.

The interesting thing about Dr. Smith (there really is more than one thing), is that he surrounded himself with creative people – writers, artists, and many other talented individuals. He liked talking about classic literature, fine art, and world cultures. Luckily, I continue to have the opportunity to visit with these creatives. I can see why Dr. Smith was drawn to them. They are fun, serendipitous, and carefree. They are the kind of people who enjoy rain on the barn roof, the smell of fresh hay, art in any form, and good conversation. They don't mind the smell of horse manure, summer flies, or cats in their face (this happens a lot at my barn). 

Many of these creative people bartered for vet services. For instance, a well-known local potter was a frequent client at Milliron Clinic. Instead of paying for vet services, he bartered with handmade pottery. Now, after many years, the pottery has more value; posterity. 

But, I digress, today I was going to write about reminiscing (not art). Any day at my barn, you can find me reminiscing with one of Dr. Smith’s former clients. The tone is sincere and the stories flow easily. Sometimes there are tears, sometimes joy, most of the time laughter. Pets are always involved (well, most of the time). Reminiscing. We should all do it more often. 


Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian.

No comments:

National Poetry Month: "Floorboards" A Poem by Mark M. Dean

Floorboards 4/14/2024 by © Mark M. Dean I’ve always prided myself on my exit plan My daily routine Sliding out of bed with the utmos...