Thursday, October 1, 2026

Storytelling Ministry: An interview with Author Catherine Ulrich Brakefield

 

Storytelling Ministry: An interview with Author Catherine Ulrich Brakefield

by Gina McKnight
Archived from the September 2026 Issue of Florida Equine Athlete
No Duplication Without Permission

    Few authors write with the kind of heartfelt clarity and spiritual steadiness that define Catherine Brakefield. A lifelong horsewoman and celebrated storyteller, Brakefield’s work carries the unmistakable imprint of someone who has spent years listening closely — to history, to the land, to her horses, and to God. Her novels blend faith-driven storytelling with equine insight, creating worlds where courage, compassion, and grace rise from the everyday rhythms of life.

    In this conversation, Brakefield reflects on the spiritual nature of horses, the quiet lessons learned in the barn aisle, and the way her Christian faith guides both her writing and her relationships with the animals she loves. Whether she’s describing a moment of divine clarity or the spark behind a new equine character, her voice remains steady, warm, and deeply rooted in purpose.

    This interview invites readers into the heart of her creative world — a place where storytelling becomes ministry, horses become teachers, and faith becomes the thread that ties it all together.

Welcome, Catherine!

GM: What is one formative moment with a horse that shaped not only your horsemanship, but also your spiritual outlook?
CUB: My parents built a home on land located in a rural setting, where the schools were unable to keep up with the new homes. I was bused to the junior high school on the other side of town. I didn’t know anyone.  My loneliness led me to seek camaraderie with the family horse, Black Magic, a black three-gated Saddlebred mare we nicknamed Madge. Not telling my parents what I was up to, I decided to ride her bareback (because the saddle was in the house).
It seemed that the only gaits she knew were cantering and galloping. Spirited to say the least. She wasn’t an easy horse to ride. I had to use a Twin Pines wooden milk crate to jump up on her back. She stood just long enough for me to get on halfway. I prayed to God that I wouldn’t fall off or drop my reins, and she’d take off on me! I prayed to Jesus, because Mom said he was my Savior, and my best friend. He’d always protect me. It wasn’t until my third ride, my prayers turned into praise, thanking God and Jesus for not letting me down. And especially for this opportunity to see my life from a new perspective.
My life was full of twists and turns, just like the paths Madge and I liked to canter through. It had bushes and tree limbs that scratched my legs if I happened to get too close, kind of like the bullies and jeers of some classmates, but it was maneuverable—what a triumph!
Maneuvering through the web of brambles and trees, coming to a clearing, I’d catch a glimpse of blue skies and puffy white clouds; I paused in gratitude. It was so pleasurable to grab an apple off a tree limb without having to climb its branches. The small pleasures of life had taught me that God was everywhere. My classmates had noticed that my grumbling countenance had converted to smiles and new friendships were formed.
Life wasn’t easy—but it can be rewarding. Placing my faith in God, knowing my best Friend was just a prayer away, and smiling through my troubles, can conquer the worst relationships—even a spirited horse and ornery people are manageable.
When writing Wilted Dandelions, my experiences helped form my character Rachel, who struck out on her own, not knowing anyone, not even her husband, to travel through the uncharted wilderness as a missionary in the 1830s. 

GM: How have horses helped you understand patience, humility, or grace in ways that later found their way into your writing?

CUB: In high school, I took an elective in equestrian riding. Students were able to go to a local riding stable and learn English riding. My skill in riding Madge helped me there. In Waltz with Destiny, I included a dude ranch, that shows the horses I rode there. Madge had passed away by now, and after I graduated, I wanted my own horse. By now, my siblings were taking riding lessons. My parents decided to try breeding horses. Dad bought a farm, then an Arabian stallion and purchased grade mares from the Fenton Auction. We could sell them with half-Arabian papers. I was up before dawn, feeding and taking horses to pasture, then getting dressed for work. Afterward, I went to night school. Foals came, grew up, and my experiences grew just as quickly.
Patience was never my strong point. I often display this flaw in my character through my characters. Their sweat was my sweat. Their concerns. Mine. I learned from years of breeding horses, to pray for an easy birth and a healthy foal. That always brought positive results, as I show in Swept into Destiny on Spirit Wind Farms, a plantation during the antebellum era, Maggie is caught in the throngs of the Civil War, her uncomplaining horse who carries her needs.
Haying is hard work and humbling. I don’t know of any farmer who is an atheist, and I know why; you pray when you cut it, when you roll it, and when you bale it that the rain or dust doesn’t get to it before you can place it safely in your barn. In Destiny Whirlwind I displayed this feature graphically amid the Kentucky hill country, as my character tries to remain a genteel lady while bringing in the crops with her highly bred horses.
In Destiny of Heart, I show what it takes to be a good steward of the horses and livestock God places in our care. On the prairies of Colorado, my character fight dust storms and cares for a sick husband, while giving the grace of Jesus to a stricken woman who has lost her little girl. God has a hand in how you handle everything: a foal’s birth, a new baby’s cry, a farmer’s crop, and a child’s death. 

GM: Tell us about your current horses... 

CUB: My current horse is named Roc N Rose, which I nicknamed Rosy. She is a flea-bitten grey Arabian with a personality that matches her charm. She always knows when feeding time is. By the time my husband or I get to the sidewalk, she’s ready to outrace the other three horses of our family. One whistle (that’s how we call them from the pasture to the stable) and she takes off at a gallop with the other horses trailing in her wake!
She was trained as a saddle seat horse. I trained her to ride hunt seat. She never seemed to care about arena work, but when I took her out in the fields and introduced her to cross-country riding, she loved it. Never shied, she soon let me know that she much preferred this over boring arena work. 

GM: Rosy sounds adorable. Through the years, has there been one horse that stands out?
CUB: That would be Nibsmar KashaBadi. My dad had purchased an Egyptian Arabian mare we nicknamed Kashana; she was a Shaikh Al Badi daughter. Shaikh Al Badi was the son of the legendary Morafic (syndicated).
Kasha started off as a problem child. If she wanted to escape her stall, we hammered up one day because we needed an extra stall, she would simply jump out of it! She didn’t care for strangers. She would jump a fence to get away from them.
She had her own ideas about who would ride her. I was soon to learn she picked me. I rode her after she was green broke and finished her off. Then I took her to the shows; she reluctantly put up with me. However, riding in Metamora Hunt Club, where we chased foxes and jumped coops, fences, and fallen trees—there she was in her element. She loved it all. Even Opening Day, when the official hunt season began. My daughter and I would dress up in our shade bellies, my son, and my husband, Ed, wearing their red hunt coats. A priest comes to bless the hounds and riders for a safe hunting season. Kasha was the horse my character, Ruth, rode in Love’s Final Sunrise. Amish suspense set in a futuristic end-of-times setting when Jesus returns on a snow-white stallion! 

GM: Where in the world is your favorite arena or place to ride? How much of your own riding venues and anecdotes do you include in your books?

CUB: I’ve ridden in Ireland, Kentucky, Canada, and the Little Manistee for a distant riding, endurance event. But my favorite place to ride was on our and my parents’ farm. At one time my parents owned a hundred acres amid the hills of Addison Twp, Michigan. My husband, two children and I loved to ride that land in the morning, at noon, or in the evening.  I have put much of my love for riding horses in my novels, as you can see above. It has become a part of me and who I am.

GM: When you write, how do you balance subtle spiritual themes with the natural storytelling that arises from horses and the people around them?

CUB: I consider them to be one. I wrote a short story once about that. We had a thoroughbred who would not nurse her foal due to a bad habit she had acquired of kicking at anything or anyone who touched her inner hind legs. She loved her foal, but she was giving him a slow, terrible death of starvation because of this habit. I explained in my story; that I had played “God” in that instance, prohibiting her from kicking, so we could milk out the needed colostrum (the first milk a mare produces after foaling and needed for the foal’s health and survival). Then harsher treatment was needed before she allowed her foal to nurse. That is what God does to us—when we refuse to obey and are heading for a disaster.  We are our animals’ master—as God is our master. We know what is best for their well-being as God knows what is best for our well-being, and following His Ten Commandments leads to a happy relationship with Him.

GM: Your equine characters often feel vivid and emotionally present. How do you bring a horse’s personality to life on the page?
CUB: Through the horse’s honest actions. Horses can’t lie. A soft neigh, attentive eyes, and ears pricked forward when you walk forward. The nudge of a head against your shoulder, and most especially their soft muzzle stretching forward for their special treat. Horses always tell the truth—they display their feelings about a harsh person by turning their hindquarters if they feel threatened, throwing their ears back, and baring their teeth. You know he or she is unwelcome, and that person has treated them ill.

GM: Is there a particular experience with a horse that felt like a direct nudge from God — something that changed your path or deepened your faith?
CUB: Yes! Which I also wrote about in a short story. My young mare was not acting right. She was highly competitive, so when the other horses galloped by her and she continued in a slow trot, I knew something was wrong.
Some heat from her front hooves worried me; I was afraid it could lead to founder. Founder is another word for laminitis. Laminitis is something that always sends chills to a horseman’s heart. Laminitis is inflammation of the laminae of the foot. It is like crippling arthritis in a person. In severe cases, horses are restricted to limited amounts of grass and are susceptible to future episodes.
My vet was unavailable that week, so I called others. Most of the vets thought she had foundered. But I wasn’t convinced. I went to my knees in prayer. I began claiming Mark 11:22-24: “Have faith in God…whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them.” Then I claimed God’s word over Grace in Psalm 107:20: “He sent His word and healed them” Lord, please heal Grace.  
From my prayers came the thought that God said, ‘not founder. An X-ray will prove this’. I sent the X-rays to my vet. He called and said, “X-rays do not show founder; that was a good idea to get that X-ray! Have your blacksmith trim her short.”
I replied, “That’s a God thing!” My vet laughed. Sure enough, it proved to be an abscess that eventually came to the surface which my vet treated with an antibiotic, and she was soon galloping around the fields again.

GM: What do you hope readers understand about Christian faith through the way your characters interact with horses, hardship, and hope?

CUB: With God as your absolute vet and navigator of your life, the impossible becomes possible! Faith is an action verb; when used correctly, it takes you through the darkest roads of your life and though you can’t see your hand before you—you won’t stumble, fear, or doubt the outcome.
 My experiences with horses helped me to see the reality of this throughout life: “Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen” (Hebrews 11:1 NKJV). That is the best way that I can say it. Without faith, there is no hope. The past is behind us, the present is ours to use, and the future—that is our hope to improve upon what God has gifted us with.

GM: What does horsemanship mean to you?

CUB: Horsemanship means being a good steward with the property, wealth, and animals God has given me to care for. Horse, just an animal until it understands what is required of it; Man, the means for that horse to learn what it is capable of; Ship, through the Lordship of God’s grace and love—horse and man can reach their full potential.

Connect with Catherine…

More About Catherine…

Catherine is the award-winning author of Wilted Dandelions, Swept into Destiny, Destiny’s Whirlwind, Destiny of Heart, Waltz with Destiny, and Love's Final Sunrise. She has written two pictorial history books, The Lapeer Area and Eastern Lapeer, and short stories for Guideposts Books, CrossRiver Media Group, Revell Books, and Bethany House Publishers. Catherine and her husband of fifty-three years live on a ranch in Michigan and have two adult children, five grandchildren, four Arabian horses, two dogs, two cats, one bunny, and six chickens. See CatherineUlrichBrakefield.com for more information. 


Cathy on Rosy

Cathy, Ed, Derek, Opening Day




No comments:

Storytelling Ministry: An interview with Author Catherine Ulrich Brakefield

  Storytelling Ministry: An interview with Author Catherine Ulrich Brakefield by Gina McKnight Archived from the September 2026 Issue of...

Monday Creek Publishing LLC

Subscribe

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp