Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Floating Teeth: An Interview with Equine Dentist Jody Briggs


Floating Teeth: An Interview with Equine Dentist Jody Briggs
By Gina McKnight
Archived from the March 2024 issue of Florida Equine Athlete www.floridaequineathlete.com
No duplication without permission.

Why do they call equine dental care floating teeth? I looked it up. The rasp the equine dentist uses is called a float. It’s an important process for every horse – to keep long teeth from getting too sharp, causing hooks, etc. My mare, who is now twenty, was dropping her grain. It had been a couple of years since her last float, and I knew she was ready. Recently, I caught up with my equine dentist, Jody Briggs, to talk about the process, what to expect, and why it’s so important.

Welcome, Jody!

GM: Most equine dentists have a history with horses. When did you meet your first horse?
JB: I was one of the lucky ones. My parents bought me my first pony before I was even born. My mom took me to the barn as soon as she could after delivering me. I was born into two families with horse-crazy aunts.

GM: What inspired you to become an equine dentist?
JB: I was inspired early to become an equine dentist. Although it took me 30 years to get certified. When I was 13, I traded my Quarter Horse mare for my heart horse - a lovely grey thoroughbred. We were struggling at the county fair and someone recommended having her teeth floated. We didn't know this was a thing. Anyway, the large animal veterinarian on duty at the fair did a quick rasping with one tool, no speculum. But the tiny bit he did actually made a difference. She rode better and picked up weight. Unfortunately, in hindsight, she needed so much more.

I didn't realize until I was 30ish that I could become a certified Dental Technician. But it was expensive schooling, for us anyway, at that time. I finally had the opportunity to attend Midwest Equine Dental Academy in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan. It's a wonderful program and people.

GM: What would you like every horse owner to know about their horse's teeth and why it’s so important to have them floated?
JB: Horses have 44 teeth. Their teeth continue to erupt until they lose the tooth or die. Because they are designed to grind their food, any tooth that becomes unbalanced can prevent grinding. Teeth can become extremely sharp causing terrible sores and disobedient behavior. If your horse hasn't been floated, within the year there is definitely teeth that need to be addressed, even if they aren't bad or losing weight.

GM: What is important for horse owners to know before you arrive?
JB: I appreciate owners who are on time at the barn and have horses caught and ready.

GM: What advice do you have for novice riders and those looking to purchase their first horse?
JB: Novice equestrians purchasing their first horse should know that education is important. Taking trusted mentors or a professional with you - don't be afraid to ask any questions.

GM: Take us through a day in your life…
JB: A typical day includes lots of driving, lots of cleaning tools, meeting lots of cool horses and people. I love helping horses and hearing their stories. These amazing animals give so much, especially emotionally and spiritually. I collaborate with friends and colleagues daily and I practice staying open minded. 

GM: What does horsemanship mean to you?
JB: Horsemanship is everything to me. I strive to improve every day. I read a lot, ask tons of questions. I attended Ohio State University - ATI. My degree is in Equine Management. At that time horses got very rough floats. I have retrained and sold many horses all benefiting from proper teeth, farrier work, and mostly patience and consistency. I no longer train much but I am proud to say all my horses went on to become lovely youth horses.

Connect with Jody:
JB Equine Services

Jody floating my mare, Zubedia


  


No comments:

Monday Creek Publishing Digest: Award-Winning Author Chris Dyer

  Featured Author Chris Dyer The Rocket Trilogy BOOK 1: STING IN THE TAIL BOOK 2: FROM ROCKET WITH LOVE BOOK 3: STORM BREWING