Monday, August 9, 2021

Milliron Monday: Letters to the Editor


Abbott "Pete" Smith D.V.M.
June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010
Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Pete Smith, D.V.M., and  Milliron: Abbott “Pete” Smith, D.V.M. The Biography (Monday Creek Publishing 2017), including his wife Jody (1938-2021). 

My office is quiet today, except for the noise of Zubie's fan. Zubie has a limp and I've been soaking her foot in Epsom Salts, then packing it with an Epsom Salt poultice and/or ichthammol. She is standing still in front of the fan, her mane moving up and down from the sway of air. Her stall is across the isle-way from my office. In between, winter hay rests in a linear stack. Surrounded by the sweetness of the new hay, Zubie watches me as I watch her. She's a good mare and I remember Jody telling me that I need a gelding, not a mare. And I think about Jody. We had profound discussions where I am sitting. She loved the barn, the horses, cats, etc. And I wish I could talk to her today. But, instead, I am reading her notebook of Letters to the Editor

Jody was passionate about many things and she was quick to tell you her opinion. She was well-informed, with stacks of books; current events, history, poetry, classic literature, etc. She was an avid reader of the daily newspapers and responded to important topics when necessary, like the need for people to keep their dogs on a leash when not on their property (it's the law). 

We all should keep a notebook of the things we have written to the newspaper. It is good insight to the type of people we are, our beliefs and values. Jody's Letters to the Editor  are placed neatly in her notebook, each in clear page protectors, ready for reference or referral. You can find Jody's letters on facebook here
 
Zubie's vet, Dr. Abfall, came today to look at Zubie's hoof. He is retiring the end of December and I will miss his expert care. It could be a pouting Letter to the Editor, as I don't know of a good replacement vet. And it wasn't Zubie's hoof at all, but her shoulder. I am sure Zubie enjoyed that I became overzealous with my own diagnosis, soaking her hoof in warm water (for no reason). She rolled her eyes at me several times at the last soak. I should have known then it wasn't her foot. Mares know everything. 

Have a great week ahead.



Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian.

 

No comments:

Milliron Monday

  Taking a break this week. Enjoy previous Milliron Monday's Here . Visit the Milliron Facebook Gallery Here. Visit my website @ www.gmc...