Monday, May 6, 2019

Milliron Monday: Coming Home 5 6 19

Abbott "Pete" Smith, D.V.M.
June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010

Photo: Jody and Mac 2019

Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Pete Smith, D.V.M., and  Milliron: Abbott “Pete” Smith, D.V.M. The Biography (Monday Creek Publishing 2017). A graduate of Colorado State University and a well-known veterinarian in southeast Ohio, Dr. Smith continues to motivate and inspire. 

Jody Smith is all about horses. She loves horses. Pete and Jody always stabled horses. Like Pete, Jody began riding at a young age and continues to pass her horsewoman expertise onto others. I am especially grateful for Jody's horsey wisdom. 

In 2012, I lost my prize Bashkir Curly gelding to cushing's disease. He was 26 and had a good life (I tear up thinking about it). My beloved gelding gone, I was left with my beautiful paint Quarter mare, Zubedia (aka Zubie). 

At the time, Jody was stabling and riding a registered Quarter Horse, Charming N Arrogant, aka barn name Mac (in the above photo). Jody and Mac rode through the Milliron Farm woods for several years. Jody, looking to downsize her menagerie of animals, suggested I take Mac since my gelding had crossed the Rainbow Bridge, and my mare needed a stablemate. I was reluctant at first; I was still grieving the loss of my gelding. 

Six months later, on a cold December day, Mac came to live at my stable on a trial basis (ha... once you've connected with a horse, the trial is over and they belong to you - besides, you usually know when a horse belongs to you, or not). Mac, a dapple grey with a good disposition and a heart of gold, was mine. Mac and Zubie immediately became the "couple" and forever friends. 

In March of this year, my horse trainer, Devin, the proprietor of Painted Lady Ranch, took Zubie to her ranch to be used as a therapy horse, helping those who suffer PTSD, abuse, or other forms of stress. As we know, horses are good at helping others through "stuff" and Zubie is a compassionate mare, good with people. 

With Zubie away on business, Mac settled after she was gone a few days. He has never stopped looking for her -  staring into the far pasture, listening for her steps, looking at me with wild eyes saying, "Where's Zubie?" 

In the meantime, Jody tells me in no uncertain terms that it was wrong to send Zubie away, and that Mac needs his stablemate. And it's true - horses are herd animals, depending upon each other for nurturing and companionship. 

Last Saturday, I traveled the 45 minute drive to Devin's ranch. Zubie was having fun with the other horses in her pasture - a nice roan gelding and two adorable ponies - Pineapple and Peaches. Peaches definitely has the upper hand in the group, even overpowering Zubie. Ponies can be that way - little but mighty. I'm not sure how Zubie really feels about Peaches, I just know they weren't chumming or nuzzling (ha). Devin agrees as Zubie tells me it's time to come home. 

I will always be grateful to Devin for the opportunities she provides to grow as a horse owner. Sometimes stepping out of our comfort zone and letting go of the things we think we need is empowering, although difficult. In this case, it was good for Zubie to be a part of someone else's world, if just for a short while. She helped someone create a good memory about being with horses. 

Jody and Mac don't know it, but Zubie is coming home this morning at 11 am. I'm excited to see Mac happy again. I know Jody will be happy, too. 


Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian.

No comments:

Milliron Monday

  Taking a break this week. Enjoy previous Milliron Monday's Here . Visit the Milliron Facebook Gallery Here. Visit my website @ www.gmc...