Monday, October 1, 2018

Milliron Monday: South High School Yearbook 10 1 18

 
Abbott "Pete" Smith, D.V.M.
June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010

Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Pete Smith, D.V.M., and  Milliron: Abbott “Pete” Smith, D.V.M. The Biography (Monday Creek Publishing 2017). A graduate of Colorado State University and a well-known veterinarian in southeast, Ohio, Dr. Smith continues to motivate and inspire. Follow along every Milliron Monday to revisit Dr. Smith's biography. 

This week we take a journey back to Pete's high school days. While actively working after school to support himself, he found inspiration and motivation from those who took an interest in his endeavors. His yearbooks are filled with handwritten well-wishes from his classmates and teachers. Here's an excerpt from Pete's biography...

...Despite his financial adversities and lack of immediate family close by, Pete was active in high school extracurricular events and excelled in his studies. He was the Senate Club President and participated in Sophomore Track, Prom Club, French Club, Writer’s Bureau, International Club Council, as well as the Annual Staff Sports Editor. The yearbook picture of the International Club Council shows Pete in the back row in a dark shirt, not smiling. His dark eyes look far away as if he is contemplating his next move. Restless, a dreamer, he doesn’t look concerned about his demeanor, or the fact that he is not smiling.
Pete was the sports editor for his high school newspaper, but he really didn’t have time for recreational main-stream sports and didn’t make it to any of the games. He had very little interest in sports. He kept a long list of verbs that fit sporting event articles, reviewed the game statistics, wrote the article, and submitted it to his editor.
        Pete was well-liked in high school and the inscriptions in his senior yearbook confirm his fame. Here are a few:

Dear Pete,
Oh, there is a lot I could tell you and I’ll try to just a little. You mean so very much to me with your quick easy-going personality. I probably would have lost my mind completely several times if you hadn’t been around to tell my problems to. You probably didn’t realize it, but you have really helped calm me down. Thanks. I know that I have sometimes treated you kind of cold, but I didn’t mean to and I’m terribly sorry. I hope I can make it up to you. I know you’ll be a great success as a rancher and I hope you’ll allow me to share your sheep-wagon with you. Have fun at Aggies and don’t forget me for those farm girls.
Love always,
Joanne (Junior Princess)

I’m going to write a book! Pete, I can’t begin to tell you what a wonderful guy you are and how I feel about you. We’ve had some of the greatest times together and some good poker games. I surely hope our friendship won’t end on the 8th of June as most friendships do. May I wish you the very, very best of everything always, Pete. You’re a fabulous guy.
Much love and luck,
Glenda

Pete, Good luck and best wishes always to a real great guy. I hope that our friendship, which has developed in the past three years, will continue to prosper.
Good luck always,
Jim Morgan
Sr. Class President

This year has truly been a ‘senior year’. I’ve met so many new kids what that will be friends forever. Pete, I consider you one of those friends. We’ve had so many fun times at I.R.C. and Inter-Club, etc. Best of luck and happiness be with you always.
Mary Dee

‘Cowboy Pete’ I’ll always remember you. You have a fine personality, Pete; happy memories of your life at South.
Harold Keables, Instructor, A.B., English

Visit Milliron Monday to read past posts about Dr. Smith. Read more about Pete in his biography. I enjoy reading your great reviews! Milliron is available locally at Little Professor Book Center, Court Street, Athens, Ohio, and online from AmazonBarnes & NobleBooks do not have to be purchased online to write a review.

Follow Milliron on facebook to view all of Pete and Jody's wedding photos.

If you have a story photo, or other memory  to share about Dr. Smith, please send it to mondaycreekpublishing@gmail.com to be included in Tails of a Country Vet Volume II !

Connect with Gina


Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian.

No comments:

This Week @ Monday Creek: History and Cosmos

  The Ides of March came and went without much ado. Falling on the 15 th of March, it was a significant date in ancient Rome. It gained not...