Tuesday, September 15, 2026

This Week @ Monday Creek: Flower Power

 

At the office. Flowers for my birthday. <3

There’s something about flowers that can shift the whole tone of a day. More specifically, receiving flowers on my birthday feels like a small, unexpected burst of joy. I don’t mean in a grand, dramatic way, more like the quiet lift you feel when you notice a bloom where you didn’t expect one. A vase on the table, a handful of wildflowers picked on a walk, even a single stem leaning toward the sun in a windowsill. They remind you that beauty shows up without asking permission.

I’ve always believed flowers carry their own kind of encouragement. They don’t rush, they don’t demand, they don’t pretend to be anything other than what they are. They simply open. And somehow, that’s enough to make you pause, breathe, and soften a little. On days when everything feels heavy or hurried, flowers seem to say, slow down—there’s still something lovely here.

Poets have tried for centuries to capture that feeling. William Wordsworth came close in “I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud,” when he wrote:

“And then my heart with pleasure fills, And dances with the daffodils.”

It’s only two lines, but they hold the whole truth of it: flowers don’t fix anything, but they remind us that joy can return, even unexpectedly. Sometimes it’s the color. Sometimes it’s the scent. Sometimes it’s just the reminder that life keeps blooming, even when we’re tired.

I think that’s why people give flowers during both celebrations and hard times. They’re a way of saying, I see you. I’m with you. Here’s something beautiful to hold onto. And even after the petals fall, the gesture stays.

If you receive a bouquet from someone you love, take a picture, press a flower, or save the seeds. Keep a reminder of their gift so that the joy lasts. A flower invites us to look for beauty, even on ordinary days.

“Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin.” — Matthew 6:28.




No comments:

This Week @ Monday Creek: Flower Power

  At the office. Flowers for my birthday. <3 There’s something about flowers that can shift the whole tone of a day. More specifically, r...

Monday Creek Publishing LLC

Subscribe

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp