Monday, December 3, 2018

Milliron Monday: The Present 12 3 18


Abbott "Pete" Smith, D.V.M.
June 16, 1938 - February 22, 2010

Welcome to Milliron Monday where every Monday we celebrate the legacy of Pete Smith, D.V.M., and  Milliron: Abbott “Pete” Smith, D.V.M. The Biography (Monday Creek Publishing 2017). A graduate of Colorado State University and a well-known veterinarian in southeast, Ohio, Dr. Smith continues to motivate and inspire. 

With Christmas on the horizon and people rushing to find the perfect gift, it brings to mind a memory from Eric Frandson of Pete. Eric is the son of Rowen D. Frandson, D.V.M., one of Pete's professors at Colorado State University. Pete often visited with the Frandson family on their ten-acre ranch outside of Loveland, Colorado. Eric remembers...

“My sister and I were children when he [Pete] would stop by to visit our house. We had a few horses. Pete and my father would ride. My sister and I thought that Pete was the comedian Bob Newhart. We would sneak out when my parents were having coffee or tea with Pete so we could listen to their conversation. I remember him being quite funny and looked just like Bob Newhart. It was exciting to think that my parents knew such a famous person. Later my mother told me that he enjoyed that we had confused him with Newhart. One time, Pete stopped by a week or so before Christmas. He left a beautifully wrapped Christmas box under the tree. My sister and I were unable to lift the heavy box. When my parents had company, they would take them to the tree, point out the present and my father or mother would say, ‘A veterinarian student, Pete Smith, gave us this present, try and lift it.’ Most would give up and smile, when they couldn’t get a grip on the box, much less lift it even an inch. Almost everyone tried to guess what the present could possibly be, but none guessed correctly. Finally, Christmas day arrived, and we tore open our presents, but we wanted our father to open the box from Pete before he opened any others. He had to open the box in place under the tree, and when he got it open, there was a small solid metal anvil. I remember my Dad laughing after he discovered what the present was, and my mother’s broad grin. While one would think the present would be quite the joke, it turns out we had my grandfather’s forge, and this was a very useful present to my father. Pete would come over and use the forge and anvil for horseshoes. I used it too, as I got older. We still have the anvil.”


Read more in Pete's biography Milliron.
Share your stories and photos of Dr. Smith. 
Email to mondaycreekpublishing@gmail.com 
Through captivating, powerful, and emotional anecdotes, we celebrate the life of Dr. Abbott P. Smith. His biography takes the reader from smiles to laughter to empathy and tears. Dr. Smith gave us compelling lessons learned from animals; the role animals play in the human condition, the joy of loving an animal, and the awe of their spirituality. A tender and profound look into the life of a skilled veterinarian.

No comments:

National Poetry Month: "Floorboards" A Poem by Mark M. Dean

Floorboards 4/14/2024 by © Mark M. Dean I’ve always prided myself on my exit plan My daily routine Sliding out of bed with the utmos...